One hole steaming tip for the Elektra Microcasa a Leva?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

I'd like to try a one-hole tip instead of the three-hole tip that comes with the machine. Will the Silvia tip fit? If not, is there another type that will?

Thanks! :-)

Carneiro

#2: Post by Carneiro »

I don't think Silvia's tip can work, as the thread of the MCAL's tip is female and Silvia's is male.

I think the tip OE sells for Pavoni could fit. But maybe is not exactly the same thread...

Márcio.

Advertisement
DJF

#3: Post by DJF »

The Pavoni tips will fit - at least they did on my McCal. A one-hole on the Elektra won't cut it. You can experiment if you want but three or two hole tips work best.

Happy steaming!
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

boren (original poster)

#4: Post by boren (original poster) »

DJF wrote:The Pavoni tips will fit - at least they did on my McCal. A one-hole on the Elektra won't cut it. You can experiment if you want but three or two hole tips work best.
Can you share more details about how the one-hole tip works on the MCAL? I'd expect it to provide more control than the three-hole tip.

DJF

#5: Post by DJF »

A one hole tip for these machines is unnecessarily slow. There's no advantage other than you get to stand there for ages admiring your Lecky - not a bad thing in itself but eventually you want coffee. The Leva three-hole can be ferocious and quick but controllable with practice.

The 2 hole tip is a bit like a mature mistress - knows you haven't got all day but won't just blow bubbles either.

As I said before, play around by all means. You may decide a 1 hole is okay for you. These machines are very personal devices - everyone has a different hand for the lever. With their little industrial farts and quirks we each find our own way with them.

Enjoy the journey.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

DJF wrote: The Leva three-hole can be ferocious and quick but controllable with practice.
What boiler pressure do you run to see these traits? I've got the 3 hole tip on my 08 & neither term comes to mind when I'm steaming milk. :lol:
LMWDP 267

DJF

#7: Post by DJF »

Maybe ferocious isn't the right word. Certainly more than ample for a small domestic lever anyways. From memory the McCal I was referring to ran at around 1 bar.

When I finish restoring what's going to be an all chrome with brass pigeon Lektra I'll lock it in around .9 bar.

A man's at least gotta have a two hole tip.

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Elektra is one of the best at balancing steam performance with the boiler/heater combination. They also make steaming about as easy as easy can be. Take a 12 ounce pitcher, put 5 ounces of milk in it, put the steam wand dead center of the pitcher. The seam where the tip mates with the wand, put that just below the surface of the milk and open the valve. A few seconds later you have a pitcher full of microfoam. Normally, you do not need to surf the tip on the milks surface like many machines. Just put it in the milk and open the valve.
Dave Stephens

DJF

#9: Post by DJF »

cannonfodder wrote:Elektra is one of the best at balancing steam performance with the boiler/heater combination. They also make steaming about as easy as easy can be.
I couldn't agree more. My semiautomatica and the Leva can put some commercial machines to shame. Both use the same steam arm with three hole tip. The only reason I can think of for using a one hole tip is to tame a full commercial machine for domestic use.

michaelbenis

#10: Post by michaelbenis »

I agree with Dave and Don. I'd leave it be. Works just fine as it is. Or - to put it another way - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... :D
LMWDP No. 237