Olympia Express Cremina new user questions - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pincorrect (original poster)

#11: Post by pincorrect (original poster) »

Thanks for all this helpful info. I will dig into all the links you guys sent. And quickly, because it arrived today. (Better go over to my Profile and update the field for "my espresso machine"!)

Also, I asked on another thread, but just in case, can anyone recommend a good 2-drawer base for this espresso machine and a grinder? I found ones by Rancio and Pasquini, but I'm not sure if the drawers are deep enough to store the accessories and provide a decent sized knock box. Hoping to keep domestic tranquility by organizing all the new clutter added to our kitchen counter!

cafe102

#12: Post by cafe102 »

Take a look a JoeFrex, they make a quality drawer. Amazon has some of the sizes listed.

Richard

#13: Post by Richard »

pincorrect wrote:. . . recommend a good 2-drawer base for this espresso machine [Cremina] and a grinder?
My suggestion is use the Cremina awhile without concern for a "base." The wrong base would introduce dangerous instability when pulling a shot.
-- Richard

Eastsideloco

#14: Post by Eastsideloco »

pincorrect wrote:Also, I asked on another thread, but just in case, can anyone recommend a good 2-drawer base for this espresso machine and a grinder? I found ones by Rancio and Pasquini, but I'm not sure if the drawers are deep enough to store the accessories and provide a decent sized knock box. Hoping to keep domestic tranquility by organizing all the new clutter added to our kitchen counter!
A two-drawer Pasquini is the perfect size for Olympia Cremina and/or Maximatic machines. I found mine on eBay. It's an essential part of my coffee corner:

LC

#15: Post by LC »

Congrats on your Cremina. I'm anxiously waiting for mine, it should arrive from the factory next week. Trying to get some good sleep whilst I'm not overcaffeinated... :shock: :shock: :shock:

pincorrect (original poster)

#16: Post by pincorrect (original poster) »

Thanks for your helpful replies. A combined response:

Bill, I stumbled onto JoeFrex on Amazon after my post. The also have their own web site with a little more detail. A little expensive since you would probably need two, but they look very heavy duty and nice.

Richard: very good point. I'll try to get enough practice first, and also get a base that is generously sized to minimize the tipping danger.

David: what an awesome Coffee Corner. I'll need to look for that particular Pasquini base. I've seen two. One has thin loop type handled and does not look as deep as yours. The other has tiny drawers with a huge gap between them. I like the one you found, if I can find it. Does it have a specific model name? The thin one with the loop handles says its for the Pasquini Livietta T2. I think I found yours on Sweet Marias as the "Pasquini Livia Base" (without the "etta"), but no longer stocked. I'll keep looking!

Leo: I know the feeling. Fortunately, I found one in stock at Cerini so I did not have to wait too long. I actually had been looking at vintage ones on ebay for a long time, but my wife wanted me to get a new one. (Actually, I think to avoid any possible refurbishment work because she has other designs for my spare time :( :D

nismo270r

#17: Post by nismo270r »

Congrats on the new Cremina, Cliff! They are such great machines and as many have said, can be very forgiving. The beauty of being able to adjust your extraction on the fly is awesome. I don't know if you make a lot of milk drinks, but it's a heck of a steamer for it's size too!
Chris
LMWDP #509

LC

#18: Post by LC »

Hi Cliff, I am at a slight advantage since the factory is relatively nearby. My Cremina should leave the factory on tomorrow and arrive within a day or two... can't wait!

I'll sure have my questions too once it's in...

spressomon

#19: Post by spressomon »

nismo270r wrote:Congrats on the new Cremina, Cliff! They are such great machines and as many have said, can be very forgiving. The beauty of being able to adjust your extraction on the fly is awesome. I don't know if you make a lot of milk drinks, but it's a heck of a steamer for it's size too!
Interesting comment regarding the steaming. I have a 2002 retrofitted with the newer 2016 group and although I can steam its far from the best steamer I've used. Overall control is a challenge to get luxurious micro-cell foam; larger bubble foam is no problem though. I can raise the boiler pressure so that it is a better steamer but then brew temp is too high. Get the brew temp where I like it...lower...and steam ability suffers.

If it only steamed like my old PV Export...I'd have the best of both worlds :).
No Espresso = Depresso

nismo270r

#20: Post by nismo270r replying to spressomon »

My Cremina was one of the new models and I had great luck steaming with it. I will say, the most milk I usually steam at one time is around 6-8oz or so for small capps. I don't feel it would have had trouble steaming enough for a larger latte though. I definitely wasn't cranking out drinks one after another, but by the time everything was cleaned up and ready for the next shot to be pulled, it was ready to go. I have a Maximatic now and am experiencing the same type of steaming I was with the Cremina. I didn't adjust factory pressure settings on either of them.

The other machine I was shocked by the steaming on was the Microcasa a Leva. Never had the pleasure of using a PV. Sometimes the little ones can be surprising!
Chris
LMWDP #509