Olympia Cremina vs. La Pavoni Europiccola with same coffee - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drH

#31: Post by drH »

I have to wonder, if it's a slightly older cremina, does it have the heat break gasket to prevent the group from getting too hot? That could help explain why it's harder to dial in.

nummnuts (original poster)

#32: Post by nummnuts (original poster) »

I don't know if these pics help but this is before and after descaling the Cremina. I'm running a bunch of water through it and will try to make an espresso in a bit...

#33: Post by nummnuts (original poster) »

I made a decent espresso today with the Cremina. A noticeable lack of Crema which I will have to work on, but it wasn't bitter or sour. I will try again tomorrow with the other beans.

drgary
Team HB

#34: Post by drgary »

I have a 1987 model Cremina and 1961, 1964 and 1968 model La Pavoni Europiccolas. I have owned a 1996 and a 2002 Europiccola. I get consistent shots on any of them when using a fresh and adequately rested medium roast coffee, a quality adjustable grinder (whether it's a Lelit PL53, a Mazzer Super Jolly, a Pharos, an HG-1 or a Niche Zero), a scale that measures to at least a 10th of a gram, measuring temperature outside the group at the start of the shot, having boiler pressure set at about 0.8 bar, adequately pre-infusing, and stopping the shot when it goes blond. All of these machines are capable daily drivers, although the 1961 Europiccola is a museum piece that gets little use.

It's useless to try to compare the Cremina or La Pavoni without getting one of them working consistently. This involves getting the boiler pressure right. The quality hand grinders mentioned above should work. Dark roasts are more challenging to pull than medium without knowing how to keep group temperature cool, which requires measurement.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#35: Post by nummnuts (original poster) »

drH wrote:I have to wonder, if it's a slightly older cremina, does it have the heat break gasket to prevent the group from getting too hot? That could help explain why it's harder to dial in.
I think it is from 1982?

drH

#36: Post by drH replying to nummnuts »

DrGary's comments are right on.

If it's 1982, chances are a heat break will help a lot.
This might be the right one (Cerini can help you be certain it will fit):
https://www.cerinicoffee.com/products/o ... a-machines

bakafish

#37: Post by bakafish »

drH wrote: If it's 1982, chances are a heat break will help a lot.
This might be the right one (Cerini can help you be certain it will fit):
https://www.cerinicoffee.com/products/o ... a-machines
I have this for my 1983 Cremina. Very good.