Olympia Cremina vs. La Pavoni Europiccola with same coffee - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
forbeskm
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by forbeskm »

I find my Cremina takes a coarser grind than my gen 1 Pavoni's. I use either a Lido 2 or a Pharos with a suction counter mount. I'll never go back to electric but thats a personal opinion thing. Either of those is small and less than 200 and 400 respectively. Single best thing you can do is get a grinder.

As stated you can mess with dosing and see if that helps, take it up or down in gram increments.

As for wrong with the machine, did you descale, new seals on the piston, jo glo the shower screen. What is the pressurestat set for? You can put a gauge on a fuel line on the steam wand if needed or some people can get the cap with gauge from Cerini but he has been out of stock. I am sure you could bring it buy since you are in NYC.

The Pavoni's overheat more than the Cremina's. Depending on which one has a pressurestat or a sputtering overpressure. What Generation Pavoni are you comparing it to?

nummnuts (original poster)

#12: Post by nummnuts (original poster) »

I am interested in the hand grinder but I've read it can take a few minutes to grind. Sometimes I just dont have any time int he morning...
There is a Baratza Sette 30 Coffee & Espresso Grinder for sale on craigslist near me for $150. It's still a lot of money for me but might get that.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
forbeskm
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by forbeskm »

I have never ground for minutes with my lido, my pharos is even faster. Can't speak for electrics. You are a hand grinder or you are an electric, sounds like you are an electric.

drH
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by drH »

That sette sounds like a good deal.

That said, grinding by hand takes maybe 30-40seconds. A Comandante costs about $250.

ojt

#15: Post by ojt »

There is an abyss between good and bad hand grinders Kinu and Apollo are I think the faster side of the premium grinders. A flimsy small plasticky ceramic burred hand grinder might take a good while longer, and make a mess of it too.
Osku

#16: Post by nummnuts (original poster) »

forbeskm wrote:I have never ground for minutes with my lido, my pharos is even faster. Can't speak for electrics. You are a hand grinder or you are an electric, sounds like you are an electric.
I'm not really either yet as I haven't tried any. I have been doing a lot of research on hand grinders and their are so many mixed reviews, it's really hard to figure out. I'm not going to spend a fortune on a hand grinder to find out I am "not a hand grinder." I will keep doing the research.
Thanks!

#17: Post by nummnuts (original poster) »

I think I am going to get a slightly used Lido E-T....

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
jwCrema
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by jwCrema » replying to nummnuts »

I have owned one of these babies and they're amazing little grinders. Very easy to tweak the grind. It found its way to my friends who bought the Club and they use it every day.

#19: Post by nummnuts (original poster) »

I've been messing with both machines with the Lido grinder. In the beginning I was WAY off. Both machines undrinkable.
I've adjusted the grind back and forth each time using about 14grams of espresso. I am using Intelligentsia Black Cat Classic Espresso.
I am currently at a point where the Cremina is very bitter and undrinkable. The La Pavoni is bitter but I can drink it. Still not very good.

The coffee smells so good when I open the bag but maybe I should try a different brand of espresso?

I will keep researching and watching videos...

Thanks

drH
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by drH »

If you're pulling multiple shots, both machines will heat up and produce bitter brews. If you haven't yet, take a look at the old cremina temperature study threads.
Essentially if you pull a shot after 30minutes idle, the temperature should be right (for the Cremina). After a shot, fully cool off the portafilter and let it stabilize in the group for 3-5 minutes.

A digital thermometer on the group will make things much easier for both machines.

Black cat is a Dark-ish espresso so keep your preinfusion to a minimum...adjust your grind so that you can start pulling after just a couple seconds.