Olympia Cremina Temperature Study Part 3 - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#81: Post by drgary »

I'm no engineer and I may be wrong. Water boils at 100C correct? If the water in the boiler is well above that because it is under pressure, what will happen when some of that pressure is released? I think it will become steam.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#82: Post by drgary »

You raise an interesting question, though. I've always heard that half pumps introduce steam into the group. Water does not enter the coffee cake when you do that. Whether water or steam the upper piston gasket doesn't allow it into the coffee and the group is heated. If you open the water tap from the boiler water it exits as water, so you may be right. What I don't know is what happens in the chamber at the top of the group when pressure equalizes compared to water traveling out a water top. Maybe someone who knows this can answer.

In any case half pumps will introduce "heat" into the upper part of the group and won't introduce water into the coffee cake! :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

Richard

#83: Post by Richard »

drgary wrote:I'm no engineer and I may be wrong. Water boils at 100C correct? If the water in the boiler is well above that because it is under pressure, what will happen when some of that pressure is released? I think it will become steam.
The pressure is not released; the space above the piston is pressurized.
-- Richard

drgary
Team HB

#84: Post by drgary »

So it's water after all. The steam idea is a myth. That's how I learn this stuff. Thanks, guys.
Gary
LMWDP#308

naked-portafilter (original poster)

#85: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Do you think really, that measures for the Europiccola would be of interest as well? It would need a lightly stronger "customizing" than the Cremina, to get in to the boiler.

Gabor

drgary
Team HB

#86: Post by drgary »

Yes, but there are many versions of Europiccola. If you are willing and have a common version that would be good. For anyone interested, here's the reference page on Francesco Ceccarelli's site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#87: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Sorry, for neglecting the topic, the new measures with the thermal break gaskets are coming soon. We were shooting the trailer of our new featured film about a quite "off" but very thrilling topic.

mathof

#88: Post by mathof »

Great topic! I use a moka pot myself from time to time and I'd love to learn more about how to control its variables. 8)

#89: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Hi Mat,

If I can't finish/post the full length film in three weeks, we can speak about my measures at the Caffé Culture in London :-).

Regards

Gabor

mathof

#90: Post by mathof »

[quote="naked-portfilter"]If I can't finish/post the full length film in three weeks, we can speak about my measures at the Caffé Culture in London :-). /quote]

That's a tempting offer, Gabor; but it turns out "all registrants must be part of the café/bar industry", and I'm just a home enthusiast.

http://www.speeddata.co.uk/Forms/Defaul ... e&PageNo=1

Enjoy!

Matt