Olympia Cremina steam wand/tip alternatives

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bostonbuzz

#1: Post by bostonbuzz »

Hey guys, I did a search and didn't find this topic anywhere. What other steam wands will fit on the cremina(old)? I read somewhere that a "La Rivera" wand will fit, but anything else? I just feel that the steam comes out too fast and too wide an angle for me. I can pour latte art, but the foam is hardly 'micro' and it is only ~1cm deep. I can get better foam on my parents' superautomatic with one hole!
I would like to get a couple options, but I don't know where to start!

Thanks
LMWDP #353

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#2: Post by orphanespresso »

This is one possibility....a somewhat modified Silvia steam wand. The nut is the same size thread and you have to do some cutting and bending but it is a single hole tip. Will post on the steaming ability when it is all put together.....a bit longish but perhaps this could be what you are looking for.

Advertisement
bostonbuzz (original poster)

#3: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

Cool! Thanks a lot! This is the old version 1 or 2 wand right? I suppose the new swivel one won't fit without replacing the valve? A swivel wand would be awesome! Orphan rocks.
LMWDP #353

dergitarrist

#4: Post by dergitarrist »

Please keep us posted with results... Steam wand seems to be the one weakness of this machine for my use. I get by but it's far from perfect.
LMWDP #324

#5: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

So I went ahead and ordered a Silvia V3 steamwand (not the kit with the valve). Based off of this thread (https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... ods/493137 I went to home depot and got a brass 1/4" female to 3/8" male bushing. The actual size of the V3 wand nut is m18x1.5 (18mm diameter and I don't know what the other part means but it relates to the thread pitch). The size of the Cremina male pipe coming out is something like (and I don't actually know the size) m12x1. I'm not sure about the '1' but I'm pretty sure about the '12'. Anyway, the 1/4" bushing (actually 1/2" ish) screws pretty far onto the metric cremina, and I'm hopeful that the Silvia wand will screw right onto that. A little teflon tape and we're good to go. I'm pretty sure that I may need to file something down to make room for the new wand's spring, and possibly order some gaskets although it isn't obvious what I need them for, any help?

As far as looks, chrome/brass/stainless shouldn't look TOO bad especially as I think it might all screw together very tightly so not too much brass will be sticking out. The V3 arm looks like it may be shorter than the one orphan put on (I hope) and my bushing should only extend it 1/2" or less.

Will post photos, and maybe a video, when I get all the parts.
LMWDP #353

jonny

#6: Post by jonny »

I'm eager to see some photos of how this turned out with the v3. I am looking for an alternative for my maximatic, and when I told my wife about this mod possibility, she said, "please just do something about that wand!" :P

Doug, what kind of "cutting" did you have to do to that wand?

#7: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

Alright, so the wand came in the mail today. It comes with the wand and nut, like the cremina wand, except a little plastic washer that it rotates on. On the 'ball' end of the wand goes another little washer that sits in the spring, presumably so that the spring and the wand don't rub. The spring rests on the end of the bushing. As you screw the wand on, the spring compresses and holds the wand wherever you leave it- nifty.
The problem is I used http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... key=Search to go from the cremina to the new wand. The spring is very stiff and is too long to sit on the end of the bushing. The solution is to take some pliers and squeeze one end of the spring enough so that it will fit inside of the bushing enough to screw the wand onto. It took me a while to realize that I couldn't sand the bushing opening bigger (the best option I think if you have a dremel tool) nor the spring smaller. So I did a combination of the three, but using pliers made it work. I assume that the V3 valve kit has a cutout in the male threads that allows the spring to sit inside .5cm to give the spring room.
The bushing doesn't feel like it will screw onto the cremina more than half way, but with pliers it goes on easily. The same goes for the silvia wand but it's slightly more difficult to get it on. You HAVE to use pipe tape or it will leak on both connections.

The wand sticks out only an inch or two off the front of the machine. It swivels around quite a bit and will point right into the drip tray so I don't have to use a towel to let off the false pressure, which is nice. The one thing is that it will not point straight down. It will point down as far as the stock cremina wand, but not straight down. I steamed twice (without espresso) and it takes longer than the cremina tip which is a very good thing! Now I have 20 seconds instead of 10! The one hole has a narrow cone of steam which I was looking for. I'm out of milk, but I'll report back after a couple days to let you know if I can get 'real' microfoam more than 1cm into the latte.

*Keep in mind that I'm not using the correct metric bushing. If anyone can locate a m12x1.5 - m18x1.5 then please let me know. (not sure about the '1.5' in 'm12x1.5')

LMWDP #353

Advertisement

#8: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

Update. Got some milk, and did a couple runs with water and soap. I went with the straight up(as straight as possible) method with a 12oz espro toroid. Tip in the middle, stretch straight until warm, then plunge until hot. I pulled an espresso and steamed the whole milk. It was the best latte I've ever made - ever. Actual creamy microfoam! And after the first sip I couldn't see milky coffee under the foam- its was deep!!! I thought this would never happen. I couldn't even get it on my friends TEA or my 2 years with a le'lit. I can recommend this mod to anyone who can handle the spring problem. Also, when my 81' machine finally calls it quits I hope the new Cremina then (2050 model?) will have at least interchangeable tips.

:D :D :D x 1,000
LMWDP #353

jonny

#9: Post by jonny »

Glad to hear the success!

http://www.orphanespresso.com/14-Female ... _3216.html
This looks like it might be the appropriate fitting. Any confirmation on this, Doug? Although it would make the wand stick out more.

Are these wands chrome plated or stainless steel?

Also how tall is the wand? I'm curious how well it will fit under a maximatic.

Doug, now I'm curious which wand is easier to install. This one that needs an adapter or the v1 that needs cutting as you say.

dergitarrist

#10: Post by dergitarrist »

That does indeed look good... I think I'll give it a go as well. Thanks!
LMWDP #324