Olympia Cremina SL - stronger spring

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LuanD

#1: Post by LuanD »

Hi everyone! I'll been using my Cremina SL for a year and i have come to conclusion that spring is to weak for most type of coffees i like. Therefor im wondering there i way to increase pressure to ca 8bars? Stronger spring? Or another double spring?

shotwell

#2: Post by shotwell »

What's your reason for feeling like pressure is too low?

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

LuanD wrote:Hi everyone! I'll been using my Cremina SL for a year and i have come to conclusion that spring is to weak for most type of coffees i like. Therefor im wondering there i way to increase pressure to ca 8bars? Stronger spring? Or another double spring?
I'm wondering if the dual spring mod for the Elektra Mcal is doable on the Cremina SL...? You'd need to take a few measurements of your group and spring but this would be a good place to start your search since both groups are 49mm.

Additional spring for Elektra Microcasa a Leva [VIDEO]

On a side note... Accessing the piston and spring is much easier on a Mcal than it is on the Olympia spring lever group. You'd have to be very careful when removing and reinstalling the SL piston on a dual spring setup ... :shock:
LMWDP #592

LuanD (original poster)

#4: Post by LuanD (original poster) »

I'm not getting that taste profile I prefer without pushing lever up.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Can you write more about the taste profile you are seeking? What have you done to adjust dose, grind and temperature with the spring that you now have?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DonFelipe

#6: Post by DonFelipe »

I came across the net Club's with stronger springs done by Migg Frei. You need to ask him, although he dont speak english and doesn't like the SL model (understatement) :)

PavoniMaster

#7: Post by PavoniMaster »

I like that idea, but wonder if the lever will be too hard to press down? It requires a fair amount of force as it is now. The SL has been a disappointment for it's weak spring.
Lever User Since 1985

LuanD (original poster)

#8: Post by LuanD (original poster) »

It should be about 30% harder for additional 2 bars to reach about 8 bars. I agree, spring is to week, i have to push upwards to achieve results i want.

pcdawson
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by pcdawson »

I'd have to disagree here. This machine seems suited to a particular type of espresso - medium to dark roasts. I can pull light roasts successfully if I pay close attention to dose and grind. Having previously owned a Pro 800, I prefer the softer shots of the SL. Mind you, the SL is far, far from perfect but the spring is the least of its issues.

truemagellen

#10: Post by truemagellen » replying to pcdawson »

Softer spring definitely softens harsher dark roasts and Elektra mcal is known for this. Light roasts are often run at lighter pressures.

I think the thicky gloopy dark roasts shots are hard to achieve on lower bar springs and some have gone the other direction and went to La San Marco 2 spring levers to get their fix with 11.5bar shots and deep baskets.

So Cremina SL with it's amazing temp stability and larger shot volume appears to be a greatly perfected version of an Mcal (where you battle temps without a heartbreak or other intervention).

Someone Add a second spring and see how it goes. It's a great platform with what appears to be space to have one.