Olympia Cremina SL - Announcement - Page 18

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
davidhunternyc (original poster)

#171: Post by davidhunternyc (original poster) »

There is a rumor that the SL can only pull 6 bar shots. Is this true? Does it matter?

truemagellen

#172: Post by truemagellen replying to davidhunternyc »

This is the design yes

Having used an Elektra 6-7 for a while now and an Izzo lsm group with 11 bar. I get great shots out of both, more crema with lsm but easier to make a harsh tasting shot if things aren't right.

I find a more capable large flat burr grinder (ie ek43s or 80+ flat burr) makes the Elektra have more punch to it and match a 9bar plus shot in flavor and I still get decent crema.

I can also use a less capable grinder with the lsm group and get more flavor out of it with the higher pressure.

So I have become less focused on peak pressure and just trying to find best flavor for each setup I am using

There are some faults in my observations when using specialty beans like super fruity where I have struggled to get the shot just right and so as I work on those shots I may find a diffebt theory on all of this

Advertisement

#173: Post by davidhunternyc (original poster) »

Thanks for the clarification. I really think that the ML is still the sweet spot in the Cremina line. I could be wrong.

mathof

#174: Post by mathof replying to davidhunternyc »

I don't think there is a right or wrong here, just different strokes for different folks.

drH

#175: Post by drH »

truemagellen wrote:This is the design yes

Having used an Elektra 6-7 for a while now and an Izzo lsm group with 11 bar. I get great shots out of both, more crema with lsm but easier to make a harsh tasting shot if things aren't right.

I find a more capable large flat burr grinder (ie ek43s or 80+ flat burr) makes the Elektra have more punch to it and match a 9bar plus shot in flavor and I still get decent crema.

I can also use a less capable grinder with the lsm group and get more flavor out of it with the higher pressure.

So I have become less focused on peak pressure and just trying to find best flavor for each setup I am using

There are some faults in my observations when using specialty beans like super fruity where I have struggled to get the shot just right and so as I work on those shots I may find a diffebt theory on all of this

That's interesting. So with the various levers you have, which do you find yourself gravitating to the most? Or, if you had to give up all but one, which couldn't you part with?

truemagellen

#176: Post by truemagellen »

drH wrote: That's interesting. So with the various levers you have, which do you find yourself gravitating to the most? Or, if you had to give up all but one, which couldn't you part with?
I have found I enjoy the Strietman ES3 and Izzo Alex Leva LSM the most. Both are silent except solenoid waterfill on Izzo. I prefer the 55mm basket on the Izzo. The ES3 is kind of portable. I prefer plumb in on the Izzo but managing water on a Strietman is so easy.

If I had to choose 1 I would keep the Izzo LSM for the ability to produce many repeated shots and ability to produce commercial level steam for milk drinks for guests/family.

PavoniMaster

#177: Post by PavoniMaster »

davidhunternyc wrote:There is a rumor that the SL can only pull 6 bar shots. Is this true? Does it matter?
That's what it seems. I'm getting crema that dissipates soon after the extraction. It took me a while to figure this machine out and dial it in. Kinda disappointed with the results; I got it in March. BTW, I have decades of experience with a LaPavoni.
Lever User Since 1985

Advertisement
drH

#178: Post by drH »

I read the review in the Lever Magazine. I feel like it may perform really well with darker roasts and a conical grinder. At the end of the day, the manual Cremina will just deliver more flexibility.

#179: Post by davidhunternyc (original poster) »

PavoniMaster wrote:That's what it seems. I'm getting crema that dissipates soon after the extraction. It took me a while to figure this machine out and dial it in. Kinda disappointed with the results; I got it in March. BTW, I have decades of experience with a LaPavoni.
Thank you for your input. What you say is really helpful for people considering the manual lever vs. the spring lever (SL) model. The lack of spring pressure will affect the shot and it's not like you can up the dosage to counter the lack of pressure. The manual lever Cremina seems to be unchallenged, after how many years, like 50? This is crazy. No one has stepped up to the plate to challenge the manual lever Olympia Cremina.

PavoniMaster

#180: Post by PavoniMaster »

I'm getting better results with a slightly coarser grind and 16g dose. 10 second pre-infusion. About 45 second extraction and nice thicker crema, sweet taste with a fresh medium roast. Using the Elektra basket.
Lever User Since 1985