Olympia Cremina SL - Announcement - Page 17

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sonnylowe

#161: Post by sonnylowe »

spressomon wrote:Will the SL's spring lever group fit a 2002 and newer Cremina (as a direct swap)?
Yes it will.
LMWDP #597

bcrdukes

#162: Post by bcrdukes »

Hmm, interesting.

So if I am understanding this correctly, one can purchase the SL group and directly swap, like for like, without modifications, onto a newer Cremina? If so, that is great news. I am awaiting my Cremina (non-SL version) in 2021!
LMWDP #685

drH

#163: Post by drH replying to bcrdukes »

Congratulations on the new Cremina. I'm on one year and loving it. The thing that helped me perfect the process was a group thermometer. I resisted my this at first but it really does make a difference for shot repeatability.

jmotzi

#164: Post by jmotzi »

bcrdukes wrote: So if I am understanding this correctly, one can purchase the SL group and directly swap, like for like, without modifications, onto a newer Cremina? If so, that is great news. I am awaiting my Cremina (non-SL version) in 2021!
Well, sort of..... Chances are it will be months or a year or who knows how long before an SL group will be available as a spare part. If you really want to have the ability to swap in the near term, then it may be better to buy an SL now and a spare manual group now since that combo is available now. But I suspect you'll be happy with the flexibility of manual version you have on order.
LMWDP #662

bcrdukes

#165: Post by bcrdukes »

I think I can wait for when the SL group is available as a spare part, but glad to know that it can be swapped (and thanks for that.) I currently have a Ponte Vecchio Export (spring lever) to whet my appetite, so this setup will do for now.
LMWDP #685

coryline

#166: Post by coryline »

I'm interested in an OG vs SL comparison. Would the spring take away some of the charm the OG has in the 'pleasure' so many people attest to the Cremina?

drH

#167: Post by drH replying to coryline »

You can find a review here.
https://thelevermag.com/pages/issue-2

I think it's likely to be a nice machine. I have the manual version and I wouldn't trade it.

redpig

#168: Post by redpig »

FWIW, I've had the SL since March (paired with a Monolith Flat a shorter time), and I really like it. It is like a modern Bezzera Family Club or a smaller, steel Londinium I. If you demand the manual lever experience, it doesn't make sense. But I'm quite happy with a Robot and Caravel in the cabinet and the SL on my counter!

With respect to the "pleasure", I've enjoyed the build quality and espresso so much that it I was thinking that someday the OG would be nice next to have next to for tinkering with pressure profiling :) (I haven't used an OG, but I do have an OG group.)

Happy to post more on a diff thread if there's any interest.
LMWDP #411

drH

#169: Post by drH replying to redpig »

Really interesting. I have the manual version and I've been curious about getting a spring. I have two main questions about it:
1) do you find the temperature is stable, and also high enough to do a good job with medium roasts (the review in the Lever magazine suggested that it takes awhile for the temp. to reach it's peak-- not a problem but good to know for managing shots)
2) what is the process for lubricating the piston or changing seals? On the manual version only a few tools are needed, but with a spring piston I suppose it could be dangerous to remove the piston rod without the right tool to prevent it from shooting dangerously out of the group if the top nut is unscrewed.

redpig

#170: Post by redpig »

drH wrote: Really interesting. I have the manual version and I've been curious about getting a spring. I have two main questions about it:
1) do you find the temperature is stable, and also high enough to do a good job with medium roasts (the review in the Lever magazine suggested that it takes awhile for the temp. to reach it's peak-- not a problem but good to know for managing shots)
I have it on a timer (~6a-2pm) and pull shots starting around 7a, so I've not noticed. I have dumped steam to depressurize to refill the boiler, and it didn't take long to come back up though the GH was warm already. I've been pulling Linea Caffe Espresso, Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo, and one bag of CC Field Trip: Home Edition, and at first I was worried it was running a bit hot. However, once the Flat arrived and I started dialing in for 15:30g in 30s, I've been happy with the temp. I haven't really been getting the reduced-temp-during-pull mottling I see on some levers, but I haven't bothered with any thermometry yet.
drH wrote: 2) what is the process for lubricating the piston or changing seals? On the manual version only a few tools are needed, but with a spring piston I suppose it could be dangerous to remove the piston rod without the right tool to prevent it from shooting dangerously out of the group if the top nut is unscrewed.
Sooo this is a great question. The same tools are needed for the SL, but since I wasn't sure what would happen if I fully dropped the group, I dropped it to help remove the dispersion screen, then screwed it (top nut) back in and just pulled up the lever and relubed the cylinder. Next time I'm willing to risk having to create a jig, I'll try again. If anyone else has already dropped the piston, I'd love to know! I had been thinking it'd be like the Bezzera, but I was too timid (this time :)) to find out for sure.
LMWDP #411