Olympia Cremina SL and dialing in

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
walterP

#1: Post by walterP »

Just upgraded from a Rocket Appartamento to the Cremina SL and have been doing a good bit of chasing... I am using a Nieche zero and I roast my own beans (on the darker side)

First issue I am seeing is the dose size. Supposedly the stock basket should take 14-15 grams. from what I am seeing I can only get about 13 without a overly tall mound of grounds in the basket before tamping. Currently I have settled on 13 grams for the chase...

using the same beans as usual at about 2-3 days after roast and using the same grind ranges I used on the Rocket I was finding that "lever down" pre infusion was going well into 30 sec or more with no drips. Releasing the lever resulted in LONG shots and held pressure after the shot for a long time. So naturally I started to chase the grind to be less fine. Started to see better results at a much less fine setting but was not getting the "thick / rich" cups I like. Started going back to more fine settings and somewhat improved but I feel like Im having a hard time settling in.

Spoke with the shop that sold me the SL and they question the grinder a bit. has me wondering as well but I was getting good results with the rocket and crema that would look like a Guinness pour during the shot. I feel like this tells me my beans and roast are not an issue. In theory I felt like the SL would have less variables than the the rocket and much less than my Lapavoini from years ago.

Wondering if anyone else has a SL yet and might have some pointers?

Better go roast up some more beans...
-I

Jasper_8137

#2: Post by Jasper_8137 »

I have an Olympia Club and use the double basket sold by Cerini. I had the same issue you are describing. It improved when I went to 16 g and ground coarser (on an MC3 relative to my grind on my LMLM). You may need to dose in the 14 g range depending on which basket you are using.
I think you will really enjoy a spring lever - I rarely use my LM now!

Advertisement
walterP (original poster)

#3: Post by walterP (original poster) »

It is the stock double basket so it should hold just over 14 but I find that its too much. I have done some searching about baskets and might try another if I can figure out what ones to try. Might also get the naked PF just for kicks. But yea... I dont see going back after using a spring lever. The process is a nice way to start the day! And holy cow is this thing made well. Fit and finish is out of this world!

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

We simply must have pictures! :|
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

#5: Post by walterP (original poster) »

★ Helpful

sonnylowe

#6: Post by sonnylowe replying to walterP »

Wow, that is lovely!!! Not sure it will help, but The Lever Magazine reviewed the SL and spoke of dosing and dialing in the shot. Either way it's a well written and honest review, the rest of the magazine is guide nice as well.

https://thelevermag.com/pages/issue-2

I have a Club and Cremina, I have found the Strietman baskets do a great job in both machines. I use the 18 gram baskets and I dose 14-16 grams depending on bean and roast. They are reasonably priced and well made (ISM makes them). I use them in all of my La Pavoni's as well.

https://shop.strietman.net/product/stri ... t-18-grams
LMWDP #597

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by pizzaman383 »

Very nice! If that had been available when I caught the lever bug I may not have built mine.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Advertisement
Jasper_8137

#8: Post by Jasper_8137 »

sonnylowe wrote:I have a Club and Cremina, I have found the Strietman baskets do a great job in both machines. I use the 18 gram baskets and I dose 14-16 grams depending on bean and roast. They are reasonably priced and well made (ISM makes them). I use them in all of my La Pavoni's as well.
I completely forgot - I got a double basket from Cerini when I bought my bottomless portafilter, but like Sonny, got an 18 g Strietman basket. This is a worthwhile upgrade.
I guess I have too much coffee stuff that I'm losing track of what I'm actually using!

#9: Post by walterP (original poster) »

Thank you!
The Strietman is what I was seeing in my searches as well. What's a few more bucks I guess... At least the pain of the price has passed while waiting for the SL. I actually placed my order for the original Cremina and when they called before shipping we had a quick chat and I decided the SL would be the better choice as a good compromise between machines like my Rocket and full manual lever. After a few weeks with the SL I am now thinking its time to sell the Appartamento and Fausto grinder. Then I can cross my fingers for a chance at a Monolith. At that point I should be at the mountain top.

spressomon

#10: Post by spressomon »

Darker roasts take up more basket space...13.4 to 14.5 grams for me in the Mcal baskets. But mostly I like medium to light roasts so I typically dose 15 to sometimes 16 grams using the same baskets on my Cremina.

I do like a lower boiler pressure setting, for moderating the brew water temp, as it runs a bit hot (typical boiler fed lever really) especially on back-to-back shots without a cold wet rag trick to cool the group. But then steaming is paltry. But I have a few Bellman steamers to pitch hit so prefer getting the espresso right.
No Espresso = Depresso