Olympia Cremina Pressure Gauge Misbehaving

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
buitrago

#1: Post by buitrago »

So I recently relocated to Boston from Pittsburgh, and in doing so, I had to store most of my coffee equipment for a couple of months. After retrieving my beloved 2002 Olympia Cremina and upon first use, I discovered that the pressure gauge was not working as usual. Allow me to elaborate...

When turning on the Cremina, it heats up as usual and the light goes off when it reaches full pressure. Then I release the false pressure and everything seems to operate as expected: The steam wand blows hot steam; upon raising the lever, hot water comes out with full force. Nonetheless, throughout all this time, the pressure gauge needle has not moved and indicates 0 bar. In fact, the Cremina operates completely fine and I am able to make several espresso drinks and steam milk as I have since I had it.

After 15 minutes of the Cremina having reached full pressure, the pressure gauge very slowly starts to increase and it reaches 0.9 bar after about 15 more minutes. In the past, when I would steam milk, the pressure gauge would decrease and increase from ~ 0.5 to 0.9 bar based on utilization. Now once it reaches 0.9 bar, it doesn't fluctuate at all even if I release all available steam from the boiler. It only goes back down to 0 bar after the Cremina has been turned off for 30 minutes or so.

I sent a message to Barb at orphanespresso.com and she said it might be scale in the tube leading to the pressure gauge, but I have checked and there is absolutely no scale in the machine. I then spoke to a technician at Cerini Coffee who advised me operate the machine for a couple of weeks to give it a chance to 'settle' and if the problem persists, to replace the pressure gauge. Well, the Cremina has had a chance to settle and the pressure gauge malfunctioning has not improved at all.

Before ordering a new pressure gauge, does anyone in this forum have any advice or has seen a similar pattern?

--
Rafael

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I think Barb is right. A pressure gauge (manometer) has a tiny tube as inlet that can be the first to become scaled. Descaling with citric acid can leave precipitants in small spaces. Descaling with 50/50 white vinegar to water will not leave deposits, and may free your manometer. You'll want to fill the machine with this descaling solution, power to full pressure and down several times to force it into the manometer. I would be surprised if that doesn't fix it. Then you'll need to fill your machine and flush it enough times to eliminate the smell/taste of vinegar, which takes more flushes than if you use citric acid.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

buitrago (original poster)

#3: Post by buitrago (original poster) »

Thank you, Gary. I'll try that tonight and report back, hopefully with good news.

#4: Post by buitrago (original poster) »

I tried the 50/50 white vinegar descaling twice. Once letting the machine sit for an hour after pumping the group a few times, but leaving most of the solution left in the boiler; and another time, pumping most of the solution through the group when it reached full pressure and then leaving it for an hour again. Unfortunately, I have to report that the manometer did not even budge. The procedures did not affect its operation even minimally.

Any other recommendations?

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Power it up and down with the vinegar solution four times without releasing solution. That means try two more times. There is no need to pump the lever and no need for it to sit very long after releasing pressure through cooldown. You are trying to force solution into the small passage in the manometer that may be clogged. If that doesn't work, of course, it's something else.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#6: Post by buitrago (original poster) »

Gary,

I am happy to report that the Cremina is in full operation now. Since the vinegar descaling did not actually make the deed (after four attempts), I opted for removing the manometer and attached nuts, and bathed the nuts in a bit of citric acid. Well, it is all back to normal. Through closer inspection, I noticed vestiges of scale in the tubes going into the manometer and boiler which I proceeded to remove with a dental scraper. That and the citric acid applied to the boiler-to-manometer nut, finished the job.

I did speak with the folks at Cerini Coffee and they confirmed your and Orphan Espresso's diagnosis that the manometer's malfunctioning was likely the result of small deposits of scale in the tubing going into it. Thanks for your guidance!

Rafael

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

You're welcome, Rafael. Glad it's working again. At this point you don't need that Speedster, do you? I'll be glad to pay for packing and shipping. :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

#8: Post by buitrago (original poster) »

Just sold it locally, and the ek43 too. I am also selling the Cremina and the m3. All posted in Boston's CL.

Due to my move to Boston and drastic reduction of kitchen and counter space, I am completely and severely downsizing my coffee armamentarium to only must-have machinery. As such, I will likely be procuring a newer 110v Speedster (I rent and was not able to make the electrical changes to accommodate my old Speedster), and one day, I will buy an all-Titus grinder from Frank. As I go through these changes, I am relying on my good al' Hario pourover.

#9: Post by buitrago (original poster) »

I do have to say that it is refreshing and I am happily surprised at the rich coffee community in the Boston area. I happened to end up moving within a couple of blocks from Cafe Fixe, which happens to be one of the authorized KvdW repair and distributor shops in the US, not to mention the wonderful coffee prepared in there. Maks did a job on my Speedster, and if it weren't fro the 220v situation, I would have kept the Speedster. Anyway, it is in excellent hands now.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Wow! You never know how people will respond. You had a great line-up of gear, and it looks like your next setup will be a showstopper too.
Gary
LMWDP#308