Olympia Cremina piston pressure gauge unboxing - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mdmvrockford

Postby mdmvrockford » Mar 04, 2017, 10:18 am

Since I count only ten pressure piston orders sent on Gabor's website, there does not appear to be too many of these out in the wild. Here's my setup pictured above along with Gabor's bottomless portafilter.
LMWDP #568

naked-portafilter
Sponsor

Postby naked-portafilter » Mar 04, 2017, 5:04 pm

I'm on holiday now but as I remember there are 25-30 kits (Cremina&Pavoni) around the world now. It's time to update the order map.

mdmvrockford

Postby mdmvrockford » Mar 04, 2017, 7:13 pm

naked-portfilter wrote:I'm on holiday now but as I remember there are 25-30 kits (Cremina&Pavoni) around the world now. It's time to update the order map.

Sorry I was unclear in my post #81: I counted ten pressure piston kits in USA on your website order page at time of that post #81.

As owners (including I) on this thread can attest, you have designed and made a wonderful product. And your customer service is just as great.
LMWDP #568

naked-portafilter
Sponsor

Postby naked-portafilter » Mar 06, 2017, 2:05 am

mdmvrockford wrote:Sorry I was unclear in my post #81: I counted ten pressure piston kits in USA on your website order page at time of that post #81.

Never mind. Thanks for remembering me. I've made an update. There've been 32 kits already delivered and some (5 maybe) in transit.

grog

Postby grog » Apr 08, 2017, 6:05 pm

Just installed mine. I must have torn the piston rod seal on the re-install tho, because now I have a slow drip out of the bottom of the group. :cry:

Edit: nope, just hadn't properly screwed the piston on to the rod and it had gotten slightly loose during install. Add that to our list of 'be sure to check that you've'...

The piston insert ring is great. Basically eliminates the possibility of tearing a seal getting it in the group bore, or of turning a seal edge. Very cool.
LMWDP #514

mdmvrockford

Postby mdmvrockford » Apr 08, 2017, 7:37 pm

grog wrote:Just installed mine. I must have torn the piston rod seal on the re-install tho, because now I have a slow drip out of the bottom of the group. :cry:

Edit: nope, just hadn't properly screwed the piston on to the rod and it had gotten slightly loose during install. Add that to our list of 'be sure to check that you've'...

Greg, after you use it for few days, please give us your impression. I gave my verbose review in post #73. We are not a very big club:)
LMWDP #568

grog

Postby grog » Apr 08, 2017, 8:11 pm

I have pulled one shot so far, of Olympia's Big Truck espresso blend. I was surprised to discover that I'm typically pulling at around only 6 bar! I ramped up to 9 at the start but even keeping it at 6 for most of the pull was clearly more than I usually do. I would guess usually start at 6 and decline to 4 or so for at least half of the shot.

I was glad to have brass pins and not have to mess with circlips. And, I agree that cone wrenches would make the install easier, with their slimmer profile.
LMWDP #514

naked-portafilter
Sponsor

Postby naked-portafilter » Apr 09, 2017, 6:56 am

I really enjoy reading the experiences. I think this is another confirmation that 9 bars of pressure isn't neccesary at all for a great cup of joe.

grog

Postby grog » Apr 09, 2017, 9:47 am

Even trying to goon out and start with a gorilla pull, my morning shots both started at 9 bar but quickly went to 6. I decided to experiment with keeping them at 6 as long as possible throughout the shot. I clearly would need to grind finer to accomplish higher pressure with any consistency.

Both were very sweet and I'm getting a distinct cinnamon note in the Big Truck that I've never noticed before. This is a really fascinating tool in refining manual lever technique. It's an odd thing to keep your overall work flow and approach, and then go against your muscle memory during the actual pulling of the shot - but the results are great.

Gabor, agreed that my immediate conclusion is that 9 bar is overrated.
LMWDP #514

Katoci

Postby Katoci » Apr 09, 2017, 3:20 pm

Is 9 bar overrated? Certainly is. But darker the roast, lower pressure is better (in general). Just thinking: the reason why some people say, that small levers are good for dark roast only is, that they used their machines on low pressure. For lighter roast, the higher pressure is often necessary.
When I first tried Gabor's kit, I also realized, that although I was starting on 9bar, it quickly declined to 6, and stayed there for the bigger part of the shot. With the pressure gauge now I use both arms, to keep the pressure steady at 9bar.