Olympia Cremina piston pressure gauge unboxing - Page 11

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
naked-portafilter
Sponsor

Postby naked-portafilter » Sep 04, 2017, 11:30 pm

haunce wrote:Great work, super cool mod kit.

One question though - how much 'nimble' control does the Cremina actually have? Can you nimbly move between 0-9 bars when pulling a shot, or does it force/lock into ranges and not give you total control? From the videos I've seen, it looks like the machine almost automatically goes high, then slowly drops around the 6bar.

I'd love to see a video of someone manipulating the full, wide range of bars while pulling a shot, to show how much range and control one actually has.

Give me a profile you'd like to see :-)!

haunce

Postby haunce » Sep 05, 2017, 10:29 am

I mean to say, do you have close to 100% control over the barometer of pressure while you are pulling a shot? Meaning you can move between 9 to, 5, to 7, to 3, nimbly with ease? Or does it require noteworthy manipulation by the fineness of the grounds to achieve diff profiles?

dominico
Team HB

Postby dominico » replying to haunce » Sep 05, 2017, 10:42 am

You can, just watch the gauge and change the force you are applying on the lever to hit the desired pressure.
http://bit.ly/29dgjDW
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

naked-portafilter
Sponsor

Postby naked-portafilter » Sep 05, 2017, 10:51 am

haunce wrote:I mean to say, do you have close to 100% control over the barometer of pressure while you are pulling a shot? Meaning you can move between 9 to, 5, to 7, to 3, nimbly with ease? Or does it require noteworthy manipulation by the fineness of the grounds to achieve diff profiles?

Today and tomorrow I will be roasting all day but I will make a short video to demonstrate how easy it works. Obviously if the grind is too coarse you won't be able to hit 9 bar...

jwCrema

Postby jwCrema » Sep 05, 2017, 10:59 pm

I have had my kit installed since January of this year. My routine for the last couple of weeks is to give the lever a quick pull up to pressurize the grouphead. I installed a new Cremina boiler cap about that same time so I don't have the false pressure issue any longer.

When it's time to pul the shot I will pull the lever fully up and leave it there for a count of 10, via one Mississippi, 2 Mississipi, etc, the pull the shot at nine bars until it is horizontal. From that point to the end of the shot I do six bars until it's completed.

Although puck analysis is useless per other threads here, this process yields a moist, but not wet puck that smells like dark chocolate. I am a RedBird fanatic

haunce

Postby haunce » Aug 11, 2018, 6:09 am

Finally installed mine...works perfectly, def recommended- thanks for making this sweet kit 8)

Chabeau

Postby Chabeau » Sep 05, 2018, 2:54 pm

I installed my new to me Cremina pressure kit and the thing has been a blast to use. Along with tracking the group temperature I feel this is a must-have mod for Cremina users, at the very least as a learning tool.

Here is a shot of mine with an Olympia Express gauge face prototype. I felt the LM logo was a little out of place on her.

"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

naked-portafilter
Sponsor

Postby naked-portafilter » replying to Chabeau » Sep 05, 2018, 3:30 pm

Hey Chad,

this one looks pretty good.

enjoy

G