Olympia Cremina mechnical pressurestat adjustment

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by jwCrema »

I noticed a change in taste from my 1985 Cremina 67, so I reattached my pstat gauge to see where things were. I was surprised she was showing almost 1.5. I suspected it was running hotter, but not that much.

This model Cremina is running the original mechanical pstat, just like in Doug's OE PStat video on YouTube. So, several turns outward got it back to the .8 setting. Nothing is wrong per se, it's all good now. I have virtually no scale in the machine due to the water I'm using.

I don't know if things like this should be predictable or not. I'm curious as to how often my fellow Cremina-ites adjust their mechanical pstats? Being so ridiculously simple and mechanical, I'd sort of assumed it was a set and somewhat forget kind of thing(?)

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I'm surprised the pressure increased. Usually the springs weaken and its harder to maintain high pressure. That happens enough that Doug Garrott posted a tech tip on modding the pressurestat to compensate for the weakened spring.
Despite using water that doesn't deposit lots of scale, one of the first places it would build up is in the tiny passage in a pressure switch. If that clogs you can have runaway heating, so you might want to do a 50/50 white vinegar water descale, powering up to pressure, shutting off, and up to pressure again about four times, then run lots of water through there to get rid of the vinegar residue. Powering up and shutting down forces the descaler into the pressure switch. I'm suggesting vinegar from a tip by rpavlis, who says citric acid can create its own precipitants, but vinegar does not.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jwCrema (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by jwCrema (original poster) »

I like the 50/50 white vinegar descale idea.

I too am stumped as to the higher reading, but I can't completely rule out it was running hotter than I believed. I used my pressure gauge about 18 months ago, (or was it 2 1/2 years ago?). I will do a six month or so check going forward, unless taste dictates otherwise.

Thank you!

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I did Doug's mod yesterday and was surprised my PSTAT wouldn't shut off. After fiddling with it I found that the switch button under the spring got stuck in place, so I freed it up. That means the microswitch is another possible culprit in runaway pressure stats. It is now far more adjustable again and runs beautifully well.

I also found it helpful to turn the screw that tensions or loosens the spring, not just the adjustment wheel that varies the gap to the switch lever.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!