Olympia Cremina: Lube all seals and gaskets or just some?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
BlackCarrera

#1: Post by BlackCarrera »

I'm slowly rebuilding my Cremina, and I'm wondering. I know you have to put food grade grease on the seals, but does that include ALL seals? I have the teflon boiler tank to heater gasket and the teflon grouphead to boiler tank gasket. Do I lube these too with grease as well as all the other seals and gaskets? Or is that overkill?

Thanks

grog

#2: Post by grog »

General rule of thumb is that you don't need to use Dow 111 or similar on non-moving parts. You definitely don't want any on the heating element gasket or the PF gasket. It won't hurt anything to put it on the group to boiler gasket but it won't serve any purpose either.

You do want it on the piston seals, the piston rod seal, and steam valve seal (if you rebuild that). The black gasket between the front panel and the steam faucet can take a dab, but mostly just to hold it in place when you are hanging the faucet. None on the sight glass seals (you might want a very tiny bit inside each to allow the glass to slide through). Don't really need any on the boiler cap seal.
LMWDP #514

BlackCarrera (original poster)

#3: Post by BlackCarrera (original poster) replying to grog »

Sweet! Thanks so much for the info! Very much appreciated!