Olympia Cremina is so aggravating - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mdmvrockford

#21: Post by mdmvrockford »

RickVanCleef wrote:I think I may have figured it out. I may have overfilled my boiler when I added water this morning. It was slightly under the 'max' line when I screwed the top back on, but thats exactly where it is now even after my two earlier (failed) shots....so there must be some additional water-maybe two ounces-in the system that puts it over the top. Likely there was no room for adequate steam pressure to build.

I just drained 3-4 oz out and pulled a beautiful shot on the same grind setting as earlier.

Oh, and for good measure, I traded out the stock Olympia Express tamper for one from Orphan Espresso, which has a slightly larger diameter. Now I am able to properly tamp all of the coffee in the puck.
I have multiple other hobbies. It is common for user (here, home barista) to initially blame their prosumer/commercial/professional level equipment for inconsistency/problems. It seems OP has self-discovered it was factor they were doing.

I have owned 1967 style Olympia Express Cremina from Spring 2015 to Spring 2021. Any "problems" from it were eventually found to be on the user-end of the its lever. The same goes my other hobbies with prosumer/commerical/professional level equipment. From my experience, the times when the device (here espresso brewer) is the problem then it will be obvious. And then device (here espresso brewer) will necessitate professional service (or self-servicing for the many technically savvy on home-barista).
LMWDP #568

drH

#22: Post by drH »

mdmvrockford wrote:I have multiple other hobbies. It is common for user (here, home barista) to initially blame their prosumer/commercial/professional level equipment for inconsistency/problems. It seems OP has self-discovered it was factor they were doing.

I have owned 1967 style Olympia Express Cremina from 2015 to Spring 2021. Any "problems" from it were eventually found to be on the user-end of the its lever. The same goes my other hobbies with prosumer/commerical/professional level equipment. From my experience, the times when the device (here espresso brewer) is the problem then it will be obvious. And then device (here espresso brewer) will necessitate professional service (or self-servicing for the many technically savvy on home-barista).

I'm humbled to admit that I completely agree with this. I've had many bouts of anger with my equipment over the years only to realize later that I was the gremlin in the gadget.

jmotzi

#23: Post by jmotzi »

Nonprophet wrote:Curious, how do the Creminas do on steaming milk? If there enough tank capacity?
Yes, No problem.
LMWDP #662

Dev

#24: Post by Dev »

After 2 years I finally got my Cremina exactly where it performs best. I can tell by touching the warmed portafilter when its ready to pull a shot depending on which coffee I am using. No need for temp stickers, IR thermometers or some sort of PID. My pre-infusion is set not by time but by how many drops hit the cup before I pull the shot which is around four. This gives me maximum volume and a solid pull. It has now been consistent with only some minor adjustments with new coffee as I have to experiment with the dose and grind but usually after three attempts its back to where it performs optimally but most of all consistent.
The only thing I found inconsistent about the Cremina is the mixed reviews and the claims of it being over hyped. Maybe I got a good one or over time I was able figure it out by not being stringent about how others pull a shots and instead did what works best for me though discovery.