olympia cremina 67 portafilter

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wobblyeyes

#1: Post by wobblyeyes »

I just picked up an Olympia Cremina 67 and it's missing the portafilter(apparently, according to this forum, not uncommon!).

I'd like to resurrect the machine but I'm figuring I'll have to make one out of brass or SS pipe. shouldn't be too hard if I make it "naked"

Could someone get me the diameter of the inside and outside of the portafilter(without the tabs).
I'll also need the diameter of the cup(measured at the high point where the cup meets the gasket.)
I think I'll need it to the nearest 0.5 mm, even closer would be better.

mogogear

#2: Post by mogogear »

HappyTamper( member here) may be your best bet- contact him - he has hand cast PF in bronze for La Pavoni already... nothing like a PF made by an artist. HEllO Mitch! we have a person needing help! He lives in Toronto. I am pretty busy right now , but we or someone here, can share some dimensions with you- AS a MATTER of fact I know someone else missing a PF for a Cremina--- Bob! also known as TUS172 may also be game- maybe Mitch will do a better deal for 2 :D --- or not :shock: Good Luck
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Advertisement
TUS172

#3: Post by TUS172 »

Yep, You bet I am game for a custom job for my '67 67 Cremina. If dimensions are needed I can supply that also. Just let me know what you need. The ears of the portafilter would be somewhat tricky I am thinking.
Also you may already know that a La Pavoni Europiccola portafilter will work, it is just that that the ears are made to rotate it the opposite way in the group head. Now remember that the old Euros are 49mm but post 2000 mileniums are 51mm.
But as I first said I would be game for a custom job from Happy... :) :lol:
Hey Greg... If Happy needs a proto-type or original form for a mould would you be gracious and be willing to part with one of your portafilters. I only have one but I know by now you have at least two. :roll: I'd probably want to just go ahead and 'kick in' for 2 or possibly 3 portafilters depending on the $$$ (Anything to help out 'Granny').
I would be perfectly happy with a bottomless portafilter as I know that would reduce the need for detail and threading.
Bob C.
(No longer a lever purist!)
LMWDP #012

espressme

#4: Post by espressme »

wobblyeyes wrote:I just picked up an Olympia Cremina 67 and it's missing the portafilter(apparently, according to this forum, not uncommon!).

I'd like to resurrect the machine but I'm figuring I'll have to make one out of brass or SS pipe. shouldn't be too hard if I make it "naked"
Shouldn't, but a bit of time and sourcing materials.!
Have you tried the suppliers for naked portafilters? cheaper! if there are any.
Do a search for happytamper and one of his threads has a tamper he cast. A bit of work with shrink and he could do it. His art works are high buck+. :)
Could someone get me the diameter of the inside and outside of the portafilter(without the tabs).
I'll also need the diameter of the cup(measured at the high point where the cup meets the gasket.)
I think I'll need it to the nearest 0.5 mm, even closer would be better.
Hi Folks,
MLTHO:
The LaPav PF is 2mm wider across the ears. The ears are a few mm shorter.

These dimensions are for the Oly:
56mm OD [2.25"]
51.25mm ID [2.02"]
23.4 mm [.921"] depth to beginning of internal bottom curve
external rim basket rim relief:
2.26mm [.097] deep
54.7mm [2.153] Diameter
Ears:

2.55mm [1.004"] EDIT 2.26mm / [.097] depth from top rim to ear. same as the basket external rim relief. :oops:
62.6mm [2.464"] ear diameter
20.4mm [.803] ear length
4.29mm [.169"] thickness crowned =- 004"and end radiused very slightly.

I might consider making a few bottomless pfs if there is an interest.
At a group of 6 each one would be over $30 in material and about 4 hours each, the shanks would be threaded 12mmx1.75 for + handles which you would buy from LaPav or Gaggia. @ ~$20 shipped If I were to calculate the cost it would be around $120ea. shipped.
Aluminum bronze has a bit of nickel and bearing bronze has a bit of lead. Both are common in potable water plumbing. They may b tinned inside if that is a worry. The same with similar brasses.

I believe Lino has a better set up for the job in multiples, he has CNC and the buying power. Bottomless PFs are one of his specialties.
sincerely
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

wobblyeyes (original poster)

#5: Post by wobblyeyes (original poster) »

Wow, thanks for those measurements, That should get me most of the way there.
I'll have to pass on the offer to make one. My shoestring budget won't allow it.

espressme

#6: Post by espressme replying to wobblyeyes »

Enjoy! You are welcome. Get close to final dim and check against the group. Finish the fine dims with a file to fit well.
The crown on the ears is on the bottom and allows the pf to run up the group ramps to tighten.
Email if you need another dim.
have fun! :)
richard

timo888

#7: Post by timo888 »

I would really like a brass bottomless portafilter/custom handles combo :wink:

Regards
Timo

P.S. I think Lino asks that you send him your PF (if it's non-standard) and he turns it into a naked one. He won't have a cache of Oly portafilters on hand.

Advertisement
espressme

#8: Post by espressme replying to timo888 »

Hi Tim,
Such could be something to happen. I shall draw up a monster individualized PF taking the problems I have heard about into account. It would be similar to the ( Heaven Forfend) Saeco crema pressurized in looks and be of a solid brass billet. The reason for the looks is that it would have a band of metal almost 6mm thick around it to accommodate the handle attachment and give extra strength to the basket carrier. And...It may be a way to have a really heavy heat sink or source to pull multiples. :twisted:
Not this week though, I am fighting to save/make one handle out of four times as much volume of expensive, splitting,shattering, mind freaking Black Ebony. :x
Keep the thread going!
sincerely
richard / espressme

espressme

#9: Post by espressme »

Didn't take as long as I thought...It is a start! :D

Measured from mine which takes the baskets from Oly and LaPav.
Think about it! :twisted:
sincerely
richard / espressme

timo888

#10: Post by timo888 »

The thread is M12x1.75 to be compatible with standard handles?