Olympia Club timer options

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tillamook

#1: Post by Tillamook »

Love the Olympia club but warm up time is eternity! I have found a few older posts on this topic, but nothing too up-to-date with all the new technologies. I'm seeking advice from anyone who has experience with a decent timer. I need it to be approved 220v able to handle 1350 watts. (Original club element). Wi-Fi would be nice, but I'm not picky.

NicoNYC

#2: Post by NicoNYC »

What kind of outlet/plug do you have? There are some timers with nema 6-15 plugs (meant for indoor grow light setups), otherwise I think you'll have trouble finding a 220v smart plug in this country.

If you are handy and comfortable working with simple electric circuits, you could use a 120V smart plug to switch a 220V contactor, and build it all into a small enclosure.
LMWDP #718

sonnylowe

#3: Post by sonnylowe »

I used this on my 220V Bezzera with a 2,200 watt element, it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1ZH920/r ... UTF8&psc=1
LMWDP #597

LObin

#4: Post by LObin »

I use this with my 220v Londinium:

Titan Controls HGC734155 Digital CO2 Monitor and Controller, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XMVMM6/re ... UTF8&psc=1

The digital timer is great. Lots of settings and silent. Mechanical timers are LOUD!

Btw, you want to be very careful when putting a machine like an Oly Club on a timer. It can get ugly if you forget to fill the boiler the night before...
LMWDP #592

Tillamook (original poster)

#5: Post by Tillamook (original poster) »

Exactly the feed back I was hoping to find. Thank you all!

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

Tillamook wrote:Love the Olympia club but warm up time is eternity! I have found a few older posts on this topic, but nothing too up-to-date with all the new technologies. I'm seeking advice from anyone who has experience with a decent timer. I need it to be approved 220v able to handle 1350 watts. (Original club element). Wi-Fi would be nice, but I'm not picky.
I'm really surprised with your warm up issue. Do you have a 220v Club running on 110V?

#7: Post by Tillamook (original poster) »

220 element on a 220 outlet. Its about a 1 hr warm up, and 10 min more after bleeding false pressure.

jameskao

#8: Post by jameskao »

One hour plus seems excessive for warm-up time on Cremina. Likely there is something mechanically wrong with the machine, e.g a leak, faulty electrical, scaling on heating element, or something else . .Have you serviced the machine at all?

#9: Post by Tillamook (original poster) »

Its a Club not Cremina.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by jwCrema »

Tillamook wrote:220 element on a 220 outlet. Its about a 1 hr warm up, and 10 min more after bleeding false pressure.
I posted how to convert a 220V Club to 110V on this forum a while back. I ended up buying a second 220V Club and converted that one as well. Club #1 is soldiering on at a friends home, while mine is my daily driver. The short version is, just replace the heating element and cord. There are two sources of Club 110V elements and I've used both.

I bought the new boiler cap which bleeds pressure as the boiler comes up to operating temp. The 110V Club, with new boiler cap, warms up in less than 20 minutes. If I turn it on, take a shower, it's more than ready to go.