Old Bezzera lever looks like Ponte Vecchio - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
farmroast

#11: Post by farmroast »

JB130 wrote:It looks just like my Bezzera:

Except for the copper body (mine is orange),
My Bezzera Familia is orange also, but my wands are the L shaped ones. Mine was guessed to be early 70s. The Bezzera in the video looks to have thinner body panels. Jim's looks like the older thicker ones. I think they are all about the same. Mine has an odd fine thread heating element. There is enough room to add a Sirai pressurestat.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

linnaen

#12: Post by linnaen »

I have the red one
There are a few minor differences even between the Bezzera's I am noticing. The one the OP posted seems to have a different steam control than the other family/club machines I have seen so far, and of course the different logo on the back.
I am very jealous of the copper finish, but am also thinking it would be a bugger to keep clean.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
ORANGE_COAT

#13: Post by ORANGE_COAT »

Hi Everyone,
I know this is an older post, but I was hoping I could get some assistance with the G Bezzera Milano. I was able to acquire one recently but I it needs some love and care. I've been working on trying to find places that carry these parts, so if anyone could suggest and retailer it would be great. Also, one part of the machine is a mystery to me. On the cylinder housing the spring and piston there is a small machined hole (not threaded). Any ideas as to what goes there? It needs to be closed somehow so water doesn't leak. Thanks :!:

farmroast

#14: Post by farmroast »

ORANGE_COAT wrote:Hi Everyone,
I know this is an older post, but I was hoping I could get some assistance with the G Bezzera Milano. I was able to acquire one recently but I it needs some love and care. I've been working on trying to find places that carry these parts, so if anyone could suggest and retailer it would be great. Also, one part of the machine is a mystery to me.
Welcome to H-B CJ
It's a really nice machine but not many around.
It's one machine that Orphan Espresso doesn't yet have a gasket kit for. :cry: I've been able to find or adapt most of the o-rings and gaskets needed at the hardware store. Fortunately my piston gaskets are still ok. If your piston gaskets are bad and you contact Doug at Orphan Espresso he should be able to match up something he has that will work.
On the cylinder housing the spring and piston there is a small machined hole (not threaded). Any ideas as to what goes there? It needs to be closed somehow so water doesn't leak. Thanks :!:
If you mean the hole on the upper part of the back side the group about a 1/4 inch down from the collar? Nothing goes in that hole.

What parts might you need? Have you tried a quick check of the wiring and then putting water in it and starting it up?

I finally got around to refurbishing mine earlier this year if you have any questions.

Pictures please
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

ORANGE_COAT

#15: Post by ORANGE_COAT »

Thanks so much, really helpful information! I'm thinking that I do need gaskets for the piston. Could this be a reason the hole on the back of the cylinder is shooting water? Checked out orphan espresso's site and it looks great, I'll try and contact Doug like you suggested. I have a few other questions for him. The hot water wand pours water even though the knob isn't engaged, and I may need a new pressure gauge. My apologies for not posting an image yet. I just moved cities a week ago and I haven't had the chance to take a photo, I will do so very soon however. Thanks again. Be back soon!

sorrentinacoffee

#16: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

Yes- water coming out the hole in the back of the group indicates that the top seal has had it. PV groups have the same hole and issue. Replace the seals and enjoy!

realdoctor

#17: Post by realdoctor »

If I am not mistaken, the Bezzera Milano - at least as sold in UK - was a single group commercial machine also marketed as the Bezzera 3000AL in other parts of Europe. It had a 5 litre boiler and a full-sized Rossi group. Those machines were made in Austria by Wallamaschinen. The exterior is unique to the machine, but the components were largely based on the BZ3000. Mine was marketed in Austria under the Walla name, with both the Walla and Bezzera logos on the back of the machine.

The Bezzera family and early Sama machines are club sized with smaller group and boiler. I will post a comparison at some point in the future when I get my old Sama up and running.