Oiman's Virtual Collection Archive - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

So, the year of 2021 is closing out! I am in a position I did not anticipate reaching so quickly with the additions made this year. Most of them are in pieces right now, but these are the additions to the collection in 2021. I will be showing initial state pics followed by their current status as of 30 November 2021. I will write a snippet/comment if merited.

1953 Gaggia Classica 1 group. I am waiting on the arrival of some teflon seals for the valves before assembling this one fully. This also applies to the Internazionale. The Classica will eventually receive a replica plexi top and a replica glass cover too.

1956 Gaggia Internazionale 1 group. I like the LED's as a nice cheap way to light the customer side, but I am seriously looking into installing a neon light or cold cathode fluorescent tube for such a special machine like this one.

1962 Faema Urania 1 group, 2nd Series. This one is all in pieces right now but once I fix the boiler lid and the heating element arrives I can wrangle it back together.

1963 Faema Lambro. I think this one had the biggest improvement so far! The little pinhole leak is not an issue anymore!

1967 La Pavoni P67. Just the decals for the to pieces that attach to the back panel and the hot water pipe are all that's left for this project, it works nicely!

1960's Campeona Modello 8 (Bambina). There's really no before/after pics for this one, it looks basically the same.

I have some seriously exciting stuff in the works too, like I am talking 5-8 machines in negotations from multiple sellers. Unfortunately that requires money, and there is a serious chance I will sell the President to a friend once he checks it out to help fund these upcoming expenditures. I cannot say publically what the models are, but I will assure you they are all interesting! Let's see how 2022 turns out!

I am giving a big shout out to Frank/The Metal Doctor. He has been a huge help for the problems that arise that I could not tackle easily for many of these machines.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

Fabulous! And the next New England H-B get together definitely should be at your house! 8)

Team HB

#13: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

We'll see! If it's just you and John that is fine by me. I am usually flexible if anyone wants to visit!
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by LBIespresso »

I think many would make the trip to see that beautiful collection.

Tremendous work!
LMWDP #580

Team HB

#15: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Another year has passed, and four machines were added to the collection this year. They are the following, the first machine acquired by itself from Pascal and the last three purchased as a lot from my friend Francesco.

1957 Faema Marte 1 group, 52mm bore (My thread says 53mm in reference to the piston seal size)
1967 La San Marco Tipo 69 1 group
1976 La San Marco Tipo 75 2 group
1977 La Cimbali Eleva

Two of them are finished projects (LSM 69, Marte), one needs a new custom fitting but pulls espresso (LSM 75), and one is waiting for reassembly (Eleva). In fact the second half of this year was the longest period I did not make any new purchases. I also wrapped up a few projects, including the Gaggia Internazionale, the Gaggia Classica, the Faema Zodiaco, and the Faema Urania. The Internazionale unfortunately has a boiler lid leak so it is currently out of commission until I fix some divots in the lid. I was very happy the Faema Urania got a new neon light. It's slightly dim but really cool. My Gaggia Classica remains my daily driver and of all the machines besides maybe the Internazionale I am the happiest to fix and use such a historical machine. I keep meaning to go over to the President but I continue to procrastinate...

A big shout out to Paul Pratt for helping me source some of the missing bits and bobs on my projects, you're a treasure and fun to chat with!

To wrap up the year and start 2023 I will leave you with a sneak peak of the first machine purchase since May, hopefully it will arrive soon 8)

In 2023 my goal is to obtain a lathe and learn how to use it for making new parts so I don't have to rely on others for those missing bits! Right now I am looking at a Precision Matthews or LittleMachineShop model but we'll see what I go with! I also want to make a guide on general restoration and how I source my parts/know what I need properly. Wishing the happy the new year to everyone!

If anyone noticed I've edited my first post to link all of my projects from here, to more easily see when and how I got my machines.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#16: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

2023 is ending, and for most of the year I was expecting it to be pretty quiet from an acquisition stand point. Then August passed and all of a sudden I have way more machines than expected :lol:

What went from one of my slowest years of collecting new machines instead became my most active in 6 years of collecting and some. Nine machines arrived on my doorstep in one way or the other from January to December of 2023, of which a big chunk of them have very few other known examples. They are the following:

1955 Conti Super Express
1980 La Pavoni Eurobar
1958 La Cimbali Gran Luce Automatica
1950's La Cimbali Rubino 1st series
1956 La Cosmo Hydraulic
1959 Gaggia America w/red plastic back
1956 Faema Urania w/cooling valves
1962 Faema President w/E61 glass
1970's La Marzocco GS2

Huh? A Marzocco? A PUMP machine?? :lol:

Yes, I purchased my first pump machine as a local pickup yesterday. It is completely trashed and has some really crazy aftermarket mods, but it is my first Marzocco machine. After visiting Kent Bakke this August, I was keeping an eye out for an old Marzocco machine to try my hand at fixing up. They appear to be nonexistent these days, but this guy was snagged for well under 1k due to its poor condition.

In terms of projects worked on, I wrapped up the following machines.

The Eurobar was finished in April. It's a really cool little machine and does not have the overheating issues of regular Pavoni euripiccolas or professionals.

The Cimbali Eleva was the final of three machines I received from Francesco in 2022 that was finished this May. It's an interesting machine to use and has a very strong spring that requires a tight grind to properly pull espresso.

My Faema President 2 group developed a leak from its failing braze on one of the thermosyphon tubes, and it is still in progress. However, I was able to try my hand at polishing some of the parts I could not achieve when originally working on it in 2020.

Probably the most interesting and unique project was the Cimbali Gran Luce Automatica. It was my first hydraulic machine project, and I learned a ton about how hydraulic machines work. When functioning, the Automatica was a machine that had only three other working examples that I know of worldwide. I documented a lot in the process too so others can hopefully learn from it.

Due to my large expenditures I could not procure a lathe this year, but I am still hoping to get one eventually. Going into 2024 I have two machines that I already purchased. One of them is a Duchessa that I won't show pics just yet, and the other machine is the Pavoni Brasilia that was posted here on HB by Bernd! The Pavoni and Duchessa will be shipped together in a month or two.

I don't know what else will happen in 2024, but I will be figuring out what big project to start hopefully pretty soon as right now it's just the President that I currently am working on. Maybe I can do some small stuff I left on already worked on machines like the failing Lambro boiler braze. TBD
-Ryan
LMWDP #612