Odyssey Espresso (OE-1 Lever prototype)

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by redbone »

New Denver based prosumer spring lever espresso machine on horizon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Ddek7p_0x ... ONudJ_m34w

Specs here: https://www.odysseyespresso.com/products. Estimated price of $800.

FAQ: https://www.odysseyespresso.com/faq

I have no affiliation with the seller. Found out about machine via FB group from Claudio of Lever Fever group.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

michael_pl

#2: Post by michael_pl »

Whoa. That's pretty. Hopefully he can achieve his goal of an affordable option!

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Looks pretty. They cite 2-ounce shots from what looks like a very short-throw lever. How do they get a piston, seals, and a spring in that group and still pull 2-ounces? It must have a wide basket; 58mm would be nice to allow the use of stock e61 PFs.

belegnole

#4: Post by belegnole »

michael_pl wrote:Whoa. That's pretty. Hopefully he can achieve his goal of an affordable option!
Well it is shiny, but something in the design looks a bit off to me. Maybe I'm too used to looking at certain other levers of a similar design. I also hope they can make a go of it.
LMWDP #641

Jake_G
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G » replying to belegnole »

Agreed...

Issues I see:
  • No thermal connection between the group and "boiler" (tell me it's not a thermoblock...)
  • Single dipper tube between group and "boiler" - no thermosyphon to heat the group in lieu of a direct connection.
  • Horizontal plate connection between group and body - no rigidity when pulling lever.
  • Pavoni-sized group contains a spring? If you say so...
Lots of issues here, but interesting all the same. Perhaps they have answers to these and other issues with their conceptual rendering.

Cheers!

- Jake

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

You can see the group broken down in one of the Instagram pics & the spring is shown. Looks like a spring lever Cremina at a very reasonable price. The Cremina works best with a thermal break between the boiler connection & group plus that top plate holding the group will be heated by the boiler. Considering the size of the spring I doubt that top plate will move when pulling shots. Looks pretty nice to me. If the price comes in anywhere near the $800 mentioned you can kiss the new & used Cremina market goodbye.
LMWDP 267

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

Right you are!

I retract my previous statements. It seems that there is not enough swept volume to pull a 2 oz shot, but I'm sure there is. The top plate being an extension of the boiler cap and incorporating the bayonet for the portafilter is pretty cool. I stand by your assessment, John. Thanks for pointing out the other photos. Just saw the one and jumped to conclusions (and it would seem they were not merited!).

Cheers!

- Jake

**Edit**
I just noticed that the spring is recessed into the piston, which is what is allowing such a compact group.

Ok.

I'm on board.

This is cool.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
foam2

#8: Post by foam2 »

I am looking forward to this - been interested in experimenting and learning on a lever for some time.

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Stanford55 »

Now THAT'S what I call cup clearance, yo! What an interesting machine, with temp control, 58mm, steam capability, and Strietman-esque profile. I'm digging the wood paneling too. Following this for sure!

JohnB. wrote:If the price comes in anywhere near the $800 mentioned you can kiss the new & used Cremina market goodbye.
Being an unofficial member of the Cremina Cult, I see nothing in this small startup that will effect the marketplace of fifty years of Swiss craftmanship :mrgreen:

Chert
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Chert »

When I first saw OE-1, I thought Doug and Barb had cooked up something exciting other than grinders.
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.