Odyssey Espresso (OE-1 Lever prototype) - Page 10

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
renatoa

#91: Post by renatoa »

y33brzk wrote:I have no clue about how to make a good espresso lever machine but why would you want to choose a 6bar spring over 8bar?
Do you have experience with 6 bar extractions ?
Or even lower... I prefer the 5-6 bar of my Mini Gaggia to 8-9 bar with extra spring.
As most people "was told" 9 bar is better than 15, but stopped there... not experimented go lower because they have no technical choice or curiosity.

LObin

#92: Post by LObin »

renatoa wrote:Why? Except lack of steam, Flair is better than Pavoni in every way ... :?
Many lever aficionados will tell you that they've had their most memorable shot on La Pavoni's.

Man, if the Flair58 is better in every way, how are they going to keep up with the demand when every La Pavoni owner ditch theirs and upgrade to the Flair58???
LMWDP #592

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
renatoa

#93: Post by renatoa »

They've had their most memorable shot when there isn't anything to compare... but the thermal issues of the Pavoni are well know, there is no sense to argue on this subject.
Those shots were memorable because probably were very rare... shot in the blind, no hint about temperature, about pressure, almost no parameter is known, you just need to push and pray.

Keeping with demand is Flair problem, not ours, anyway both machines are not on topic of this thread.

LObin

#94: Post by LObin »

renatoa wrote:They've had their most memorable shot when there isn't anything to compare...
:shock:
LMWDP #592

y33brzk

#95: Post by y33brzk »

no hint about temperature, about pressure
I don't own a La Pavoni but I've watched many instruction videos about how to use them (and also read some texts here on the forum).
Isn't there a temperature strip which one can glue around the group head? And I think there also is a pretty affordable pressure gauge upgrade for the Europiccola (but comes out of the box with the professional model).

LObin

#96: Post by LObin » replying to y33brzk »

The La Pavoni lever world is vast and complex. Different generations = different qualities and different challenges.

There are many temperature modifications and many ways to manage the group and extraction temps. Temp strips is just the tip of the iceberg! ;)

Overheating of smaller lever group is a well documented issue. At first glance, it seems like the OE-1 group won't be as susceptible to overheat vs the Europiccola, Cremina, Elektra Mcal, etc.
LMWDP #592

Jake_G
Team HB

#97: Post by Jake_G »

Thanks Jonathan for trying to drag this topic back on track and talk about the OE-1.

I'm fine if we want to compare it to the Pavoni, or the Flair 58, or the Robot, or an 8-group Synesso, but let's keep the focal point on the OE-1 rather than why any of the other comps are superior or inferior to any of the others.

That's for a different topic and likely a different audience.

Cheers!

- Jake

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
HB
Admin

#98: Post by HB »

Jake_G wrote:Thanks Jonathan for trying to drag this topic back on track and talk about the OE-1.
To encourage contributors to reflect on Jake's admonishment, I removed the last post (which was not about the OE) and will put this thread on pause for a short while. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#99: Post by IMAWriter »

LObin wrote:Many lever aficionados will tell you that they've had their most memorable shot on La Pavoni's.
I'm one of those you mention. It happened only ONCE, 12 or so years ago. Klatch "Belle"..One shot..a true Gawd Shot..had everything..
Never could replicate it...not even the next day. Mazzer SJ..which, of course wasnt exactly consistent, due to retention and such. Ive owned Strega, MCAL, Cremina, Robot, etc...all wonderful machines.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#100: Post by GregoryJ »

I'm curious about how hot the exterior of the machine is.

The first reason is because it is pretty light (~15 lbs), so I assume you need to hold it somewhere as you turn the portafilter in. I'd probably go for the blue circle area.

The other reason is because there is a switch I believe to change the temperature to steaming. I assume this is one of the switches in the back (red arrow). I'd hope the machine is not too hot back there, otherwise it's going to be easy to burn my fingers going for the first latte of the day!