Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by TenLayers »

I'm really liking this machine. Thinking both big and small at the same time. Trying to hit parameters of a more expensive machine while keeping it affordable. Like I told him, if I already didn't have my end machine, I'd be first in line for his.

nguye569

#82: Post by nguye569 »

I'm definitely hoping to make it onto the pre-order list. This is one of the few small lever machines that's passed my first level of approval (i.e. the SO has to like the way it looks :wink: ).

Advertisement
jevenator

#83: Post by jevenator »

TenLayers wrote:I'm really liking this machine. Thinking both big and small at the same time. Trying to hit parameters of a more expensive machine while keeping it affordable. Like I told him, if I already didn't have my end machine, I'd be first in line for his.
There's no such thing as an end machine :D

Yes, there's going to be an app. It's going to be $250-$300 extra if you want a BT pressure transducer to graph pressure or like $30 for a analog gauge. You'll need a BT scale connected to graph flow rate of coffee on the app too. Sounds cool if I didn't have a DE1 already so I'm not even enticed by that. I want a manual lever experience.

I think there's going to be a lot of room for pre-orders. 250 is needed for the first run and he probably won't cap it until 1500 or something.

Lastly, there might be 2 spring options to either get a 8 bar spring or a 6bar spring.

(All information I have found through instagram conversation and few private dm's) I told him to get on HB so that might happen. Might not depending on time.

y33brzk

#84: Post by y33brzk »

I have no clue about how to make a good espresso lever machine but why would you want to choose a 6bar spring over 8bar?

caeffe

#85: Post by caeffe »

Nice to see that we are getting more and more lever machines out there. The competition is healthy for us consumers. Hopefully this one survives the gauntlet and becomes a real competitor.
LMWDP #162

Jonk

#86: Post by Jonk »

y33brzk wrote:I have no clue about how to make a good espresso lever machine but why would you want to choose a 6bar spring over 8bar?
6 bar can be enough, more gentle on the puck and it should be easier to pull the lever if the spring is weaker. Main concern is how fast the pressure drops further. Personally I'd probably want the 8 bar spring (or try both).

I used to have an Aplimont MiniGaggia. Roughly 5.5 bar starting pressure, which was fine, but it dropped quickly and I did find the shots much better when helping the spring as it weakened. Much more strenous to push a lever up while having to stabilize the machine to keep it from tipping backwards.. than to push a lever down with the help of body weight and a stable base.

mohninme

#87: Post by mohninme »

I seen on FB there is being added the provision for "plumbing in". That will be a nice option with the small boiler volume. This one might just satisfy my lever envy.
Michael

Advertisement
malling

#88: Post by malling »

It might have been me who asked about the pressure, he definitely told me that there will be two springs too select from but it's not entirely decided yet. But yes it would be a 5-6ish and a 8ish pressure at the top.

There might also be available in black and wood panels down the line. As I asked about the availability in black, chrome would look strange in my kitchen where every appliances is black.

My biggest gripe with this is how it's possible to make a machine with an additional boiler, steam wand, electronic components, an app, spring loaded group for basically $270 more then the flair58.

y33brzk

#89: Post by y33brzk »

for basically $270 more then the flair58.
Same with the La Pavoni which is around the same price as the Flair.
Another reason why I think the Flair58 is overpriced.

renatoa

#90: Post by renatoa »

Why? Except lack of steam, Flair is better than Pavoni in every way ... :?