Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 59

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mbeck

#581: Post by mbeck »

ibetnoonehasthis wrote:Hello! You can get a distributor/leveler from CREATIVEWERK on Etsy.

They make a solid set for the Ponte Vecchio machines as well as nice handle sets.

It's been a great source for the custom work I've been doing on my Lusso.

Thanks for this!

Feca

#582: Post by Feca »

:D
LMWDP #724

Advertisement
larrythegypsy

#583: Post by larrythegypsy »

So I don't have an espresso machine, but want to get in the game. This machine looks amazing to me and has everything I imagine I'd want: 58mm for tamper and basket options, lever for full control and experimentation, steamer (personally not rich enough to be worried about multiple boilers).

Only issue is I'm a newbie who doesn't know what I don't know, and this machine obviously can't come with lots of reviews.

Should I jump on this? Are there reasons I should hesitate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

larrythegypsy

#584: Post by larrythegypsy »

Forgot to mention temperature control!

davidhunternyc

#585: Post by davidhunternyc »

larrythegypsy wrote:So I don't have an espresso machine, but want to get in the game. This machine looks amazing to me and has everything I imagine I'd want: 58mm for tamper and basket options, lever for full control and experimentation, steamer (personally not rich enough to be worried about multiple boilers).

Only issue is I'm a newbie who doesn't know what I don't know, and this machine obviously can't come with lots of reviews.

Should I jump on this? Are there reasons I should hesitate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
You're jumping in at the perfect time. I've been waiting for a couple of years now. I got my perfect grinder, the Kafatek MC4, and I'm either going to get...

1) Olympia Cremina - The gold standard. Built like a Swiss watch.
2) Odyssey Argos - could be a game changer if temp was stabilized at the grouphead.
3) Londinium Vectis (Compact) - still waiting on specs but has a proven track record.

Jeff
Team HB

#586: Post by Jeff »

larrythegypsy wrote:Should I jump on this? Are there reasons I should hesitate?
The answer to that comes with the answers to how much "losing" close to $1,000 means to you, how risk adverse you are, and if you can wait another couple of months. You hit it on the head with "[I don't] know what I don't know" and neither do we on the Argos. It could be awesome. It could be yet another not-quite machine. I would definitely get comfortable with the development and production team and some of the current challenges with supply chain that many manufacturers are facing. There is a pinned thread on the EAF Discord server that is pretty active, including Ross ("Mr. Argos"). It was from catching up with that thread that I made my personal decision (I've got two other machines on my counter, so the gamble is almost entirely a monetary one for me).

I'd decide on a grinder, as many of those also have long lead times (months, not weeks). If you get itchy to start, picking up a Cafelat Robot, either new or used, might be a reasonable plan. They seem to hold their value well and do a great job. I would guess that you could resell it relatively easily for close to what you paid.

davidhunternyc

#587: Post by davidhunternyc replying to Jeff »

Agreed. I too have a Robot. If you're looking to only make espressos and Americanos, the Robot can't be beat for a home machine for making one or two shots at a time. Albeit, the Robot looks a little underwhelming sitting next to the behemoth MC4. I love cappuccinos too much and that's why I want to upgrade. Right now I use a wand milk frother for cappuccinos and it's definitely the weakest link in my set-up. I've been using this system for the few years. A Cremina, Argos, or Vectis will be a huge upgrade.

Advertisement
aonphleacs

#588: Post by aonphleacs »

I'm basically in your exact position as well, Larry (edit: or should I say Jonathan? My forum etiquette is about 15 years old): The Argos will be my first machine and I have no clue what I actually want. But I sure think that this is it!

However, as Jeff alluded to, all of us who've already bought in are basically agreeing to beta test this product. Our hopes are everything will be just as we dream. But there's no way to know the truth of the matter until we get our paws on the machine. As for me... even once I have it I probably won't be able to tell ;P

I would also agree with Jeff on buying a grinder ahead of time. I somehow (thank the gods) managed to get a Niche Zero on order in such a way that it should ship next month but I probably need to dust off the sacrificial altar to make sure there aren't any delays.

Rice Bowl

#589: Post by Rice Bowl »

As a fellow (new) MC4 owner, I'm also very excited about the Argos. The transparency shown by Ross every step of the way here as well as on the EAF discord alluded to a couple comments up makes me feel safe in purchasing an Argos when possible

Ah_J

#590: Post by Ah_J »

any videos about the pulling shots from the 2nd prototype ? i'm eager to click the pre-order...