Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 49

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
titan

#481: Post by titan »

bgn wrote:I'm tempted by this. But still have a question about piston seals. I would imagine that they will be easy for the users to service the piston and replace seals, but still I'd like to know if they are custom or commonly found and if they are silicon.
This is what Ross posted about the seals:

"combo of off the shelf o-rings and u-cup seal. can all be found off the shelf i'll post up sizes for folks to source and replace from their local/ online store"
https://discordapp.com/channels/7269855 ... 7436271627

RTOBarista

#482: Post by RTOBarista »

I am new to espresso and I got the Flair 58 in June. I ordered the Argo and I am #158.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
renatoa

#483: Post by renatoa »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote: I am actually wondering how many companies are using CAD based simulation to build espresso machines.
I guess that Brad Pitt is a safer investment than an Ansys engineer... :shock:
https://adage.com/article/advertising-n ... gn/2362596

Ben.Samways

#484: Post by Ben.Samways »

Argos Weekly Update: September 7, 2021

Hardware

Design changes. As the first pre-production machine has been tested over the past few months, a few small design changes are being made to perfect the final design.

1. Wood Panel screws on the sides are being replaced with hidden magnets to clean up the look as seen in the renders.

2. Electronics board updates; including replacing the mechanical heating element relay with a solid state relay for faster response and prolonged life and hardware filters to clean up the thermocouple readings used in the PID control.

3. Lever linkage redesign. The original design required two separate length linkages that would be included and required for swapping from direct to spring lever configurations. This design has been updated to make the swap possible with a single linkage to work with both configurations.

New parts, boards, and panels are expected to arrive by the end of the week or early next week and will allow us to build up the other 4 units for reviews, continued testing, and color/wood configuration display.

With these new parts I will be able to include video on the swap from spring to direct as well as finish dialing in machine controls with the reduced error in sensor readings.

Portafilters and steam wands are the long lead item parts but also the ones that do not require design changes. This order is being placed this week to get the ball rolling on those and some other major components that are not going to change. Once linkages, circuit boards, and covers/ panels are all tested and validated, those orders will be placed likely in 3 weeks.

Software

We're continuing to make great progress with the Odyssey Espresso App. We recently got connected to the Bluetooth transducer and started plotting data as well as to the native Argos sensors. We're currently working on scale integrations with the first two being Decent and Acaia.

Ben.Samways

#485: Post by Ben.Samways »

No surprise on the change to solid state relay.
I was curious about direct to spring switch over. Keen to see what this looks like.

Frenchman

#486: Post by Frenchman »

Any word on who's going to get the review units and if the reviews will influence the first run of preorders, or only subsequent builds? (As someone who did preorder...)
LMWDP #712

renatoa

#487: Post by renatoa »

Ben.Samways wrote:No surprise on the change to solid state relay.
I was curious about direct to spring switch over. Keen to see what this looks like.
Also maintaining that old grenade design BT pressure sensor solution is the equivalent of mechanical relay vs SSR. And very expensive, without any reason.
Would be the next thing I would change to come closer to actual IoT standards.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Amberale

#488: Post by Amberale » replying to renatoa »

What would you recommend instead and will you be marketing it as an option?

renatoa

#489: Post by renatoa »

Custom build from electronic parts, as is his actual electronics. Final size of a thimble is something usual.
Look for a RF tire pressure sensor as an example.

Amberale

#490: Post by Amberale » replying to renatoa »

So you don't actually have something to recommend?
Something I can buy off the shelf to fit to my Faema Baby?
Something that has a history of reliability in this sort of heat/pressure cycle?