Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 25

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IMAWriter

#241: Post by IMAWriter »

GregoryJ wrote:The machine and the espresso look really nice, but the shot looks on the small side. Obviously it's just speculation until they release more info, but I was hoping I would be able to get ~40-45g output.
That would require at least 24 grams of coffee to taste like a lever shot...IMO.

IMAWriter

#242: Post by IMAWriter »

As to volume...you guys really drink shots over 45 grams? Really?? :D
I guess I'm more into long Italian style shots. Singles 11 grams in, 16 grams out. 18-19 grams in, 34-36 grams out.

Regardless of our likes, thinking about this sweet little machine having to make "monster shots" is somehow a bit off-putting to me. Quality over quantity works better for me. I've owned 7 levers, some spring, some fully manual. I've NEVER had a shot over 38 grams (from a Bezzera Strega) that tasted like a true lever shot. I do agree here that the shot in the video was VERY short. To not have drips with that lever down THAT long seems like maybe the grind must have been ULTRA fine...like Turkish. Not sure I'd want to grind that fine either my Niche Zero or Sette 270. Very interesting video, and certainly welcome for those on the fence. I assume the spring in there was the 8, not the 6?
★ Helpful

tiptongrange

#243: Post by tiptongrange »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:I have utilized 5 gallon replacement jugs from Home Depot which are reverse osmosis with a mineral profile added. $13 I think new and the refills are $7 or so...
Try Whole Foods, they sell reverse osmosis water for 40 cents/gallon if you bring your own container. They of course also sell 2, 3, and 5 gallon containers.

GregoryJ

#244: Post by GregoryJ »

IMAWriter wrote:As to volume...you guys really drink shots over 45 grams? Really?? :D
I'm usually doing 27-30g shots on the Robot, but I would like to have a little bit of margin for longer shots.

titan

#245: Post by titan »

My enthusiasm for long shots comes from this recently popular so called turbo shots that all YouTubers are talking about where you get 1:4 or 1:5 ratios. It's a nice thing to try, but definitely not a deal breaker for me.

bgn

#246: Post by bgn »

I don't see the video on the web page. Can someone repost it here?

randytsuch

#247: Post by randytsuch replying to bgn »

titan

#248: Post by titan »

There are also some test shot videos on the Instagram.
It is showing the temperature variations of the water that comes out of the group.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#249: Post by baldheadracing »

IMAWriter wrote:As to volume...you guys really drink shots over 45 grams? Really?? :D
It depends on the roast level for me. Ristrettos are great for many "espresso roast" coffees, but I'll often pull 1:3+ for lighter roasts.

For example, the Elektra Micro Casa a Leva with its relatively weaker spring is renowned for pulling light roasts at luongo+ ratios, albeit with 7g-9g doses due to the size of the group. On a larger lever group a luongo double would be, say, 15g dose, 45g-60g out (although this morning's pulls were 7.5g dose, 21g out, with 20 second pre-infusion at 3.4 bar).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#250: Post by pizzaman383 »

titan wrote:There are also some test shot videos on the Instagram.
It is showing the temperature variations of the water that comes out of the group.
I have not been able to find any videos showing temperature. Would you please post links?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”