Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 23

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#221: Post by baldheadracing »

titan wrote:So I understand that prevention is better than cure. But the process is to fill in the boiler with a solution, turn on the element, after boiler is up to pressure let it cool down, and then somehow siphon out the water, right?
No. Machines are different, as are the strength and types of acids used for descaling. What you are describing would be catastrophic for some machines, but normal in others.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

versusqc

#222: Post by versusqc »

video of a shot being pulled has been posted on instagram! The comments also include a confirmation that the included spring is 8 bar.

FrankS

#223: Post by FrankS »

Why can't I view anything larger than a thumbnail on Instagram?

This is better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2E84-AyXxY

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#224: Post by pizzaman383 »

That was a very long preinfusion - the same length of time as the shot.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

GregoryJ

#225: Post by GregoryJ »

The machine and the espresso look really nice, but the shot looks on the small side. Obviously it's just speculation until they release more info, but I was hoping I would be able to get ~40-45g output.

megamixman

#226: Post by megamixman »

Isn't 45g out hard even on big commercial group levers like the Bosco, Profitec Pro 800 and the LR?

versusqc

#227: Post by versusqc »

GregoryJ wrote:The machine and the espresso look really nice, but the shot looks on the small side. Obviously it's just speculation until they release more info, but I was hoping I would be able to get ~40-45g output.
You may have read it already, bit on instagram he said "I get anywhere from 35-55g out depending on grind and pre-infusion time and pressure". This one does seem a little short, looking forward to seeing more/trying for myself :twisted:

truemagellen

#228: Post by truemagellen »

megamixman wrote:Isn't 45g out hard even on big commercial group levers like the Bosco, Profitec Pro 800 and the LR?
It is around 60 with a healthy preinfusion on those machines. You terminate shots to your volume liking by removing the cup.

truemagellen

#229: Post by truemagellen »

The problem with more volume and a spring lever is the spring becomes huge to compress more water. Then you need a huge base, a huge lever, and more power to compress it.

A Fellini leads to temp issues on dipper machines, not sure about this design which is a temp probed dipper correct?

Amberale

#230: Post by Amberale replying to truemagellen »

The spring is seated inside the piston and is longer than it appears in some photos.
Ross has said that it has 1 inch of travel.
Given a 58mm group that is about 66ml of potential volume.