Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 21

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wojtowip

#201: Post by wojtowip »

You fill and empty the boiler directly from the top port like other home lever machines. Descale would involve filling heating and dipping over to drain it out. It still has the limitation of needing to cool down or drop pressure before refilling.
LMWDP #694

malling

#202: Post by malling »

titan wrote:How would one go about descaling a lever machine that does not have a hot water knob? Should the solution pass through the group?
Preferably that it has a draining plug at the bottom at the boiler, you cannot empty it probably with a hot water knob.

Alternative open it up fill it up and then empty it with a tube with under pressure and then rise it throughout afterwards.

But it's really only for very light descaling, for more you ought to take the whole thing apart and dump the parts in a descaling bath.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#203: Post by baldheadracing »

titan wrote:How would one go about descaling a lever machine that does not have a hot water knob? Should the solution pass through the group?
Please do not use water that needs descaling with a lever group. Scale will destroy the piston seals.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Amberale

#204: Post by Amberale replying to baldheadracing »

I don't have experience with the seals but I have to agree.
I view this machine as similar to a LP and ideally suited to a small number of shots a day.
As such it should be easy and cheap to feed it with suitable water.
If I want/need to pull multiple shots for visitors or steam milk then I have a larger machine for that.
If a fellow coffee snob is visiting and wants to try a shot from the Argos then they are not going to be concerned about waiting a couple of minutes between shots, they are more likely to be interested in the whole process.
I hope that its temperature management is better than the LP.

DonFelipe

#205: Post by DonFelipe »

From the last update:
" Additional add-ons will include ... 6 Bar Spring, and additional Piston Assembly."

That means spring lever mode wont cost 850usd?
I can understand why paying more for Bluetooth and pressure gauge but for the spring a bit disappointing from my POV

Specially after all the promotional videos were made with the spring.
Its only me?

GregoryJ

#206: Post by GregoryJ »

I think he calls the standard spring an 8-bar spring. The 6-bar spring would be something extra of you want to try a different spring.

guijan12

#207: Post by guijan12 replying to GregoryJ »

I have the same opinion (hope) :P
Regards,

Guido

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#208: Post by pizzaman383 »

What information was shared in the email update?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Jesse.F

#209: Post by Jesse.F replying to pizzaman383 »

Odyssey Espresso
Argos Lever Pre-Orders

Thank you everyone for your interest in the new Argos Lever espresso machine. Unfortunately pre-orders are delayed due to necessary software integration on the website.

The last items to sort out before launch are the VAT tax calculator and final updates for product configuration. The calculator should be up and running by next week but no confirmed date at this time.

Timeline:

Once we receive ~200 pre-orders, we will have enough funds to officially place the manufacturing order and begin business. The speed at which we receive pre-orders will determine how soon manufacturing begins. It may be 1 day, 1 week, or 1 month.

Once manufacturing begins, we're looking at a 2 month lead time to receive parts. During that time, the assembly workshop will be set up, part time assembly techs will be hired and trained, and we will work towards CE cert.

Assembly will take 1 to 2 months and expect to begin shipping units in November of this year.

Weekly Updates will be sent out via the list-serve and on social media to keep everyone up to date on milestones and relay any issues.

Product:

The base machine will start at $850, part of which is one time software cost and non taxed. At this time, configurations will include 120V vs 240V, Walnut vs Oak, and LHS vs RHS steam wand. Additional add-ons will include Black or White color options, Analog Pressure Gauge, Wireless Bluetooth Pressure Sensor, 6 Bar Spring, and additional Piston Assembly.

Direct plumb (auto refill) will be tested over the next month and can be added at a later date if desired. Other items will be available for sale including a milk steaming pitcher, espresso glasses, and Odyssey Espresso t-shirts.

Quality Assurance:

While we understand it is a huge ask to accept crowd-funding before we have product in hand, 5 pre-production machines have been manufactured, built, and tested to confirm all suppliers, work out final design changes, and display expected product quality. We hope that this instills confidence in all buyers while you wait for units to be built.

Since we are still several months out from shipping, refunds will be accepted to keep risk as low as possible for backers. Please note that we will only ship a product that meets all of our claims for quality and performance.

I really appreciate everyone's patience as I navigate the setup of this business. I will do my best to keep everyone updated along the way while providing the best possible product and support that I can.

As finances increase I will leverage what resources I have to expedite the process. Look out for another update this weekend regarding a confirmed date and time for Pre-Orders next week.

Thanks,

Ross Ainsworth

www.odysseyespresso.com

1942 Broadway St. STE 314C, Boulder, CO, 80302, United States