Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 17

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zix

#161: Post by zix »

malling, descaling has to be done with a gravity leva as well. The Strietman machines need it. The Arrarex Caravels too.
The only ones that may almost never need descaling is Cafelat Robots and Flairs. I do love the Robot, but if you don't want any kind of boiler in the machine, then your choices are limited to one of those two. The Odyssey is very far away from being a boilerless machine. It would need a total redesign.
LMWDP #047

malling

#162: Post by malling » replying to zix »

I never needed to descale any of the open/gravity I used, just as I never needed to descale my kettle. So yes you can completely avoid it. However you tend to use a different water recipe in closed/pressurised system as the same water you use in open/gravity might lead to corrosion in the other. If you find yourself in need of descaling it's also 10 times easier to descale, as You often would not need to completely dismantle it, that is really the only correct way to do so with a a machine like the odyssey and even more so on pump or you risk plugging valves.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Welshdog

#163: Post by Welshdog »

Is there any harm in descaling more frequently, particularly if your water demands it? Here in Austin our water is moderately hard and perhaps more importantly pretty alkaline. I haven't gotten very far in analyzing those details, but seems to me I would want to treat my water in some fashion when using a boiler based machine. I know one can just go off the deep end and use demineralized/RO water, but then there's the whole taste issue that arises. The Odyssey looks to me like it would be easy to descale and maintain.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#164: Post by walr00s » replying to Welshdog »

I use a Zero Water pithcer and remineralize with potassium bicarb (Rpavlis water). At the rate I'm going right now, 2 years worth of filters and 10+ years of potassium bicarb cost me a total of maybe 40 dollars.
★ Helpful

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#165: Post by IMAWriter »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:Robert,

thank you for your effort, I appreciate it. Some of the vintage machines are beautiful, but I am not really interested in owning one for several reasons, including shot size.
If you want to talk dream lever machine, for me personally the OE-1 comes really close besides the Strietman. Maybe even closer would be a Pedretti Kim retrofitted with a pid.
The lovechild of a Strietman and a OE-1 could be perfect: open boiler, stable temperature & repeatable changeable in 1 degree increments, a pressure gauge/sensor at the group, 58mm, modern design. That is what I would like to see from Odyseey. If Odyseey can pull of perfect temperature stability already with this machine I would be happy too.
I will happily wait for reviews to come in.
I believe the OE-1 will be a fine machine. It seems like any "upgrades" could possibly be user DIY stuff...
That's sort of a "lever thing."
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

renatoa

#166: Post by renatoa »

malling wrote:I never needed to descale any of the open/gravity I used, just as I never needed to descale my kettle. So yes you can completely avoid it. However you tend to use a different water recipe in closed/pressurised system as the same water you use in open/gravity might lead to corrosion in the other. If you find yourself in need of descaling it's also 10 times easier to descale, as You often would not need to completely dismantle it, that is really the only correct way to do so with a a machine like the odyssey and even more so on pump or you risk plugging valves.
Same here.
Is a matter of dosing power carefully, to not favor the creation of mineralisation centers.
In plain English this means heat as slowly as you can, with minimum power possible.

wojtowip

#167: Post by wojtowip »

Where I live the water is fairly soft and I have absolutely no need to descale, don't get scale build up on kettles or any other appliances either. Now where my parents in law live, everything has a thick coat of scale. Using the tap water there would scale the machine very quickly and would need regular descailing to keep it running. Any design really depends on water quality. Better water, less need to descale.
LMWDP #694

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
malling

#168: Post by malling » replying to wojtowip »

There you should probably not even consider using it without softening the water first...

wojtowip

#169: Post by wojtowip »

Yeah, I don't even bother there. I can't convince them to install a water softener. Luckily we can just use bottled water there.
LMWDP #694

GregoryJ

#170: Post by GregoryJ »

Now called the "Argos" lever, with accompanying promo video: