Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) - Page 64

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
makspyat

#631: Post by makspyat »

Other than the normal curiosity, why are you guys growing impatient and want to see the working prototype now?

We all knew that this project is being born in the garage, by a guy with the skill and the courage to innovate. Understandably, there is more risk and more manufacturing issues that he may not always expect. So everyone backing this project must have had some primary espresso machine at home - in other words, none of you need to have Argos now.

It was communicated what Argos is and I am happy to let Ross figure out a million of details behind the scene.

I personally don't want to find Argos at my doorstep today and I do not mind it getting delayed multiple times, as long as Ross ships the finished product.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#632: Post by TenLayers »

Because it's the nature of the organism known as the world wide web. There are positive people on it, there are patient people on it and there are inpatient and yes, the Debby Downers are on it.

I think your post hits it perfectly. Everybody knew he started with an idea, that led to the garage that led to something bigger. Let it be. Let it grow.

BlueWater

#633: Post by BlueWater »

makspyat wrote:
It was communicated what Argos is and I am happy to let Ross figure out a million details behind the scenes.
I agree, have already pre-ordered, and would much rather wait for a polished product rather than one where quality suffered because of timeline.

YeetSkeeterson

#634: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

I'm sure everyone is right. But there needs to be apparent momentum for a product to succeed. It can grind to a halt with delays and issues that plague it no matter how long it takes to "let it grow". In the world of the instant web, what more do you want? The times are a'changing. If this doesn't succeed I'll gladly buy the Londinum Compact, a direct competitor. These are things to take into consideration regarding how swift one is being.

And of course there's the opposite, rushing it out the door and burning the company down in the process. Not good either way. Where is Goldilocks?

While I may not have been able to get my point across your examples solidified the nebulous phase many, not just the Argos, "crowdfunded" projects seem to go through.

There's no sudden drop and bam it's shipping, and there's no sort of documentation of its function and marginal improvements along the way, perhaps maybe in Discord, I will give credit where credit is due. The only video of a shot looks shoddy at best, having owned a Robot for over 2 years now.

I'm not really arguing one way or another and I don't care I suppose, I should stop typing. But, I'm not into FOMO either though, and I don't need to be what amounts to a longevity tester as those who receive the first units. I've never backed anything before, except the single Kruve Espresso glasses, as I already owned their previous two cups. I just love the aesthetics and I love levers, what can I say.

Here's the one reason this WILL succeed : everyone in this thread, except maybe me right now. I know it doesn't seem like it but I am on everyone's team here.

RobAnybody

#635: Post by RobAnybody »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:. If this doesn't succeed I'll gladly buy the Londinum Compact, a direct competitor. These are things to take into consideration regarding how swift one is being.
had a bit of a snigger on that one, If I remember correctly the Londondiunium has been promised to arrive 'soon' since 2019.
Compared to that, the Argos project appears to have pretty decent momentum.
cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

beardsicles

#636: Post by beardsicles »

Is the Argos a single-boiler design? Or HX? It's pretty appealing because there aren't a ton of direct lever machines out there. And I've really fallen in love with my Robot/direct lever. But I'm not sure it's necessarily an upgrade over my Robot+a Bellman if I have to wait to steam.

GregoryJ

#637: Post by GregoryJ »

Single boiler dual use. There is a switch to flip when you want to steam milk.

renatoa

#638: Post by renatoa »

Nope, is closed boiler, without any advantages, imo, and all the drawbacks of using a boiler, and overheated groups.
Just a fancy Pavoni on steroids.
Robot, or Flair... or a well done open boiler, have more potential for stability, less maintenance and simplicity.

PS: we are comparing based on build principles here, not on machines cost, which is a joke today.

davidhunternyc

#639: Post by davidhunternyc »

Have you all followed projects on Kickstarter? There was one project I was was very interested in, the Helix folding titanium bicycle. That was 5 years ago. Dozens of threads were started soon afterwards about Helix being a scam. I didn't invest in the project because I knew it was going to be an uphill battle. Helix turned out to be legit. Custom tooling and manufacturing is a momentous cost. Helix bicycles are just now trickling out. I will wait for something to be made correctly and without compromise. I'm confident that Argos is one of these projects. To be short, Rome wasn't built in a day.

aonphleacs

#640: Post by aonphleacs »

The thing about small projects is that they are always gambles. I have backed many projects on Kickstarter where my returns have been as products and I am an investor where my returns have been in currency. In both cases you can't actually see what's happening behind the scenes. Yes, no matter how "transparent" someone is being... there are always parts left unseen or uncomprehended.

Updates are really nice. It's reassuring to see a project you have invested in coming along, progressing, especially in a direction you appreciate. However, producing updates is time consuming. Life gets in the way, even if you have a whole team of people working on something... even more so if it's basically just you and your passion.

Something to keep in mind is that you can't compare a project like this to the machinations of a company that is creating and advertising a new product launch. This project is not about creating a Thing that can be sold and then marketing it against its Rivals; it's about creating something which the creator wants himself and is thinking other people might like as well. This process reminds me of the product launch process from a cottage industry bag company, which is to say: the producer is far more concerned with improving on his design than increasing potential buyers at this point. That might change once the thing is finalized and about to go into production.

Three paragraphs, so I guess that's my 3¢.