Nurri Leva S. A. - Page 21

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Primacog

#201: Post by Primacog »

bakafish wrote:Lelit Bianca has 1.5L steam boiler with 1400W heating element and a dedicated PID for the steam boiler, so it has the constant steam pressure when steam milk. The inner tube diameter is smaller, the copper pipe between the steam boiler and the steam wand as well, so its steam flow rate is lower. I took out the inner tube of my Lelit Bianca and replaced the steam tip with the Vortex 3 hole steam tip, https://baristawarehouse.com.au/product ... -steam-tip. The steam flow rate was increased and it still had constant pressure.

IMO, the Nurri Leva's steam pressure drops quickly due to the design. If it uses a higher wattage heating element and a dedicated PID for the steam boiler, even it cannot have constant steam pressure, at least it would never drop so quickly, and it will not increase too much cost.

I had said, the key to make really silky milk foam is the steam flow rate, not the power, especially for low volumn milk. The real strict test of the steam performance of a machine is to steam low volumn milk. Only good steam performance can use low pressure but high flow rate to steam low volumn and silky milk foam in 10 to 15 seconds. Actually I often steam only 120g milk with a 250ml Motta milk pitcher. I used the same Vortex steam tip (old version) on 3 machines, FAEMA Lambro (3.5L with 1500W heating element), Lelit Bianca (1.5L with 1400W heating element), and Nurri Leva (1.8L with 1000W heating element).

The FAEMA Lambro used a Sirai pressurestat and had the biggest diameter of the copper pipe between the boiler and the steam wand, no inner tube in the steam wand. The steam copper pipe diameter is just a little bit smaller than it of the water copper pipe behind the grouphead. Of course, it can have this high steam flow rate because it has the big boiler. The steam pressure drops slowly when steam milk. I adjusted the pressurestat to 0.7 bar to 0.9 bar and it could make the best milk foam of the 3 machines. Real commercial grade.

The Lelit Bianca has the smallest diameter of the steam copper pipe. I took out the inner tube of the steam wand and the milk foam quality was improved, but the steam flow rate was still lower than the 2 other machines. I had to set the steam boiler temperature to 127C or above to make good milk foam. The milk foam quality was not bad, but not as good as the other 2 machines made. With the inner tube, the best result was using the stock 2 big holes steam tip. The milk foam was good too, but could not compete with the Vortex steam tip without the inner tube. The worst was using the Vortex steam tip with the inner tube.

The Nurri Leva has the same (or a little bit smaller) diameter of the steam copper pipe as it of the FAEMA Lambro. I set the boiler temperature to 119C (0.9 bar) to steam 120g milk. The milk foam quality is near but not equal to the FAEMA Lambro's, and I have to concentrate on steaming, not as easy and stable as using the FAEMA Lambro. Using the stock 2 hole steam tip I cannot made the milk foam as good as using the Vortex. I also tried to take out the inner tube from the steam wand, but all things were worse no matter using the stock steam tip or Vortex.

Forgot to say, the steam pressure test video was using the stock 2 hole steam tip.
Correct me if i am wrong but in the end, the drop in pressure while u steam doesnt affect your use of the nurri at all. By your own finding, it still gives u great quality foam - better than that from the bianca - and you have not experienced a situation where the drop in presusre affected thw quality of the milk being steamed whether for the current jug or for thr next jug, right?

So it seems to me that by what u r saying, the nurri is a very good steamer of milk but you only wished that it were as good as your lambro. However the lambro has a boiler twice the size of that for the nurri so its not going to be fair to compare the volume of steam produced by the lambro with the nurri. Despite this, the nurri still manages to produce steam tnat is nearly as good at perfectly steaming milk as the lambro is - and certainly better than the bianca despite the bianca having a more powerful heating element for its steam boiler than the nurri has.
LMWDP #729

jontyc

#202: Post by jontyc »

espressotime wrote:I' ve never had that happen with my Pompei.Maybe your waterlevel is too low.The amount of water the solenoid lets into the boiler is way too little to affect steampressure.This machine needs to be run at 1.3-1.4 bar boilerpressure.
Even on my little Lambro I have enough steampower left to steam when I add a pretty big amount of cold water.
video
I'll PM you (hope you don't mind) as too Izzo specific for this thread.

bakafish

#203: Post by bakafish »

Primacog wrote:Correct me if i am wrong but in the end, the drop in pressure while u steam doesnt affect your use of the nurri at all. By your own finding, it still gives u great quality foam - better than that from the bianca - and you have not experienced a situation where the drop in presusre affected thw quality of the milk being steamed whether for the current jug or for thr next jug, right?
I said
The milk foam quality is near but not equal to the FAEMA Lambro's, and I have to concentrate on steaming, not as easy and stable as using the FAEMA Lambro.
Actually the Nurri Leva steam is the most difficult to use in the 3 machines. The Lelit Bianca is the easiest.

Primacog

#204: Post by Primacog »

bakafish wrote:I said
Actually the Nurri Leva steam is the most difficult to use in the 3 machines. The Lelit Bianca is the easiest.
My experience is rhe opposite ¿aybe im much poorer skilled at steaming milk, but i find the nurri the easiest to produce good foam at any poijt in my coffee journey....by right, if we follow your idea, the izzo pompei should havw been perfect. 5 litre boiler and 1950W od ppwer to heat it. The nurri is so muxh easier to use to steam milk that i ca literally just do it wirh the nurri as opppsed to strugglfing with the izzo.
LMWDP #729

bakafish

#205: Post by bakafish »

Primacog wrote:if we follow your idea, the izzo pompei should havw been perfect. 5 litre boiler and 1950W od ppwer to heat it. The nurri is so muxh easier to use to steam milk that i ca literally just do it wirh the nurri as opppsed to strugglfing with the izzo.
Maybe the izzo's steam flow rate and the steam tip is mismatched. The FAEMA Lambro stock steam tip is 4 big holes. It is very hard to steam under 250g milk. The Lelit Bianca stock 2 big hole steam tip with the inner tube is easy to use, but cannot produce very silky milk foam. The Vortex steam tip without the inner tube can make the best milk foam on the Bianca, but with the inner tube is the worst. The stock 2 big hole steam tip without the inner tube is the worst too, no matter the usability and the milk foam quality. I said the Nurri Leva is the most difficult to use in the 3 machines. I didn't mean it really hard to use, just not as easy and stable as the other 2.

Primacog

#206: Post by Primacog »

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5 ... n__=%2B%3E

Here is a new photo of a bench on which there appears to be a few Nurri L-type SA Leva machines being manufactured in Nurri's own facility in Naples, Italy.
LMWDP #729

daveyb

#207: Post by daveyb »

Does anyone know exactly where this alleged 'factory' is? If you Google the address information on their website it shows you a bleak looking flat in a complex which would seem a little odd for a manufacturing base.

Primacog

#208: Post by Primacog replying to daveyb »

Sorry what do you mean to suggest by saying "ALLEGED" factory, daveyb? Are you as an acs vesuvius evo owner suggesting that nurri - that makes a competing product as your machine- is not telling the truth by saying they make their own products? That the photo of the bench top showing multiple machines being manufactured is somehow fabricated? Please clarify what you mean to be insinuating by using the word "alleged"?

Do you wish to visit their factory ? If that is why you wish to ascertain the exact location of their address, I trust that you cna make arrangements with nurri to do so and they will be happy to host your visit at their factory rather than to post this kind of insinuating post on this forum.
LMWDP #729

daveyb

#209: Post by daveyb »

@Primacog Not in the slightest matey. It is a genuine question. I welcome all levers and machines to the market.

espressotime

#210: Post by espressotime »

Primacog wrote:My experience is rhe opposite ¿aybe im much poorer skilled at steaming milk, but i find the nurri the easiest to produce good foam at any poijt in my coffee journey....by right, if we follow your idea, the izzo pompei should havw been perfect. 5 litre boiler and 1950W od ppwer to heat it. The nurri is so muxh easier to use to steam milk that i ca literally just do it wirh the nurri as opppsed to strugglfing with the izzo.
In 10 years of Pompei ownership I haven' t struggled once with steaming milk.Worked perfectly.Maybe you had the wrong tip?