Nurri L-Type Leva owner experience

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

It's still January and a somewhat new year, so why not start anew?

For whatever reason, the New review of Nurri L-Type Leva by Lance Hedrick thread got derailed a few times, so I'm thinking it would be best to start fresh. Would a Nurri L-Type Leva owner like to write a nice owner "introduction" post for this thread? For example, it could be a brief review, important tips you've discovered, and a few photos.

Please note primary contributors to this thread should be owners; questions from non-owners are welcome, as long as the conversation remains on-topic. If the discussion steers away from owner-specific topics, it will be split to a new thread.
Dan Kehn

Husks

#2: Post by Husks »

I've got a Nurri on order and I was wondering if there were any tips / suggestions people had for a new Nurri user, and if anyone had a link to the manual or any other documentation that comes with the machine?

cyclezib

#3: Post by cyclezib »

Hi Ben:

There are a group of Nurri owners who contribute to the forum (of which I am one). The manual is very easy and does not have a lot of critical information other than setting the PID parameters. But you shouldn't need to worry about that as the machine should arrive fully ready to go. I do suggest using the Sworks Design magnetic funnel (55mm) https://sworksdesign.com/Seamless-Magne ... p432524031 Other than this, the machine comes with a tamper and you shouldn't require other accessories unless you want to customize your set up. What colour Nurri did you order?

Primacog

#4: Post by Primacog »

Like cyclezib said, the manual is quite short. Don't worry though, all u need to know is how to set the pid and the rest is quite intuitive.

These shorts and videos may provide more guidance

http://www.youtube.com/@Viernescafe/shorts
http://www.youtube.com/@Viernescafe/videos
LMWDP #729

Husks

#5: Post by Husks »

Thanks guys! Even before buying this experience has been great, all I've had to do is ask a question and Nurri owners have gone out of their way to be helpful.

Getting a Blue and Olive wood one, my wife saw me watching the Lance Hedrick review and said that was the first coffee machine that didn't look terrible (in her eyes), so here we are.

Any other paraphenalia that I can look into? I wasn't sure if the general market 54mm products were a perfect fit (I know some are actually 53.3 to match some preville machines) but if there is a self-leveling tamper and a puck screen that fit perfectly that would be handy.

Thanks again.

cyclezib

#6: Post by cyclezib »

I think blue looks fantastic. Mine is white.

I'm using a Kafatek Levtamp which I had a custom base made = 54.8mm. I don't use a screen, rather I use 55mm filter paper. Good luck finding a Levtamp. They are hard to come by.

If you are open to ordering from the US, Escher Lab makes a tamper and distribution tool for LSM baskets. I use his distribution tool.
https://escherlabs.co/products/55mm-esp ... lsm-custom
https://escherlabs.co/products/55mm-cus ... ution-tool

Primacog

#7: Post by Primacog »

I use cheap 54mm made in China funnel. As for self levelling tamper, I was using a normcore though it was a little smaller than the diameter of the portafilter. Personally I don't think the small gap really made that much difference. I now use a made in China auto tamper instead. I use 51mm filter paper for the bottom of the portafilter and 53mm filter paper to cover the puck though I also use a stainless steel filter screen too.

One tool that didn't cost too much and that I had specified to fit the portafiilter exactly was a moonraker type planetary geared semi automatic wdt tool that was made by an etsy seller in Canada who was in fact the first seller I know of to make such tools and who predated weber's moonraker tool. If I recall rightly the name of the etsy seller is coffeetoolsCA.
LMWDP #729

Husks

#8: Post by Husks »

Do you have a link to the tamper you now use? The LSM 54mm group heads seems to be relatively common but I'm struggling to find many accessories for them (not that you need them by the sounds of it, but I do like buying coffee accessories).

Primacog

#9: Post by Primacog »

The escher one is said to work perfectly by some other nurri owners. Actually while the nurri tamper that comes with the machines doesn't fit exactly flush as there is a tiny gap in diameter with the portafilter, I don't think it makes any perceptible difference to me in the results and it looks great as it has the same wood handle as the wooden panels on the machine.
LMWDP #729

Husks

#10: Post by Husks »

Another question that came up; when you pull the left handle to release the pressure does it cause the handly to fling up?