Newbie: What do I need for rebuild? Old La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
misters2

#1: Post by misters2 »

I won this machine on eBay last night. (would love to get opinions on the price)

I'm trying to get a handle on the parts I need to complete the machine and rebuild. A lot of the information I've gotten is from the Ultimate Build thread, but hoping to get confirmation on my order list from orphan espresso.

I am pretty certain its a 1974 version 1.8 (too bad about the plain steel base, but it looks to be in pretty good condition?).

It's missing the handle for the lever, which I'll turn on my wood lathe.

It has a North American plug on it, but I guess I won't know until it arrives whether it's a 120 or 220v heater (but it's probably 220)? A 220v heater will work, just be slow?

So in terms of part that I need to order:

1. La Pavoni Rebuild Kit - PRE-Millenium Models - Full Kit
2. Pavoni / Cremina Group Rebuild Stainless Steel Hardware Kit
3. 49mm Portafilter and basket

I'm having trouble mapping the list in this post to the kit from OE, Are there additional gaskets I'll need which are not in the kit?

Is there anything I haven't mentioned that I'll need?

Thanks in Advance.

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Being that the plug is of a U.S. variety Type A ungrounded, it is most likely a 115v element.
Once the machine is in hand you can disconnect all leads and do a ohms test using a multimeter between leads.
If you get around 72ohms on one it's a working 200w element and 24ohms it's a working 600w element or 15-18 for a 800w element.

I prefer the larger portafilter offered by Cafelatstore over the oem versions. https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/l ... ortafilter

1) Seals and gaskets should be replaced. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faida ... pavoni.htm
2) Dismantle soak and clean of all parts. Descale of element and boiler.
3) New power cord 16g minimum with ground highly suggested. 1st Gen La Pavoni Europiccola with 3 way toggle

* The steam valve assemble seems gouged looking from top view. That may or maynot be a concern for you.
* You can always have the base powdered coated or spray with high temperature engine block paint as others will run and wrinkle.
La Pavoni Europiccola powder coated bases
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

misters2 (original poster)

#3: Post by misters2 (original poster) »

Thanks Rob,

1) is there overlap between the kit on Orphan Espresso and Francesco's?
2) That's the plan, I'll definitely have to read up more on this part.
3) I will look into this. Where does ground connect on the machine?
*) which picture are you looking at, what are the consequences? Is it just aesthetic or will it affect function?

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

1) Overlap unknown. More of a preference based on experience.
2) Found oem PF handle too short for my liking and prefer the stainless steel over brass for cleaning etc.
Cafelate variant also comes with a basket retaining clip.
3) Ground typically connects to boiler retainer ring. Can drill and tap small screw thread if need be.

* Maybe aesthetics and a preference on my part.
* Good soak and mild micro cloth scrub with Bartenders keeper will make the chrome shine again and remove any surface rust.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

misters2 (original poster)

#5: Post by misters2 (original poster) »

Ah, examining the photos a little more, it's actually a 2nd gen 1977 machine, given the bolts on the group.

rpavlis

#6: Post by rpavlis »

This seems to be an early second generation machine. I obtained one of these some time ago and fixed it up for my brother who now has it. It is fairly easy to find spare parts for these. Should the heating element have a problem, you have the option of having a new one made or locating a special ring that enables you to mount more recent style elements.

Look inside the boiler for scale. Many machines are severely abused by users putting highly inappropriate water in them. This can result in corrosion, heavy calcium carbonate deposits, or sometimes calcium sulphate deposits. Green scale is a particularly bad thing. However, pitting is generally even worse. White vinegar diluted 1 to 1 is a sensible descaling material for calcium carbonate deposits and for green scale. Be sure to rinse the thing very very well after this to avoid vinegar flavour!

You will need to disassemble the group. There have been many descriptions here on HB on how to do this. You will almost certainly have to replace the seals on the piston. You should check that the bore of the piston is smooth and not pitted in any way. If not clean and shiny I would suggest polishing the bore with something like Bar Keeper's friend or Brasso. While you have it disassembled examine it very very carefully and try to get an idea of how the thing is supposed to function. Note the little holes toward the top of the bore. One admits water vapour from the boiler to keep the space above the piston hot. (This often works too well, particularly for machines used at low altitude.) The other two (one in later versions) admits water into the space under the piston when it is raised. Note the seal at the top of the group. This sometimes fails, but is easy to replace. Measure the bolts that attach the group. If I recall correctly La Pavoni specifications say these should be M6x1.0x16. Some are only 12mm long, if yours be that way I suggest changing these bolts or replacing them with stainless studs.

Check the heating element with a multimeter to be sure that it is not open or shorted to the body of the machine. Many people burn these out by either failing to use proper water, or by forgetting to turn off the machine when not in use. You may be able to tell immediately by apparance if the element be split open.

I would also check the threaded rod that attaches the handle to the portafilter. On this machine the original was M10, later models have M12x1.75, I believe it is. It is a good idea to replace this with brass or stainless because the steel ones can corrode off. You might want to consider buying a bottomless portafilter. I would strongly recommend against chopping these, because the huge thermal mass of the stock filter helps prevent overheating that results in bitter espresso.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

No one answered on the price. I think it's reasonable for a project machine, and I like that particular model because it's transitional between 1st gen and 2nd gen, meaning that it has much of the robust build quality of the 1st gen machines, including a rigid, cast base. That build quality isn't available in the much newer models, although they have their advantages, such as pressurestat control of temperature and more easily available replacement parts.

Obtaining project machines online when a seller isn't willing to test it is a crapshoot, because there's an obvious cost difference if something like a heating element is fried. In such a case I assume the heating element is shot when calculating my bid. Of course doing a project like this is part of the hobby and has entertainment value (at least for some of us!). I had actually seen that listing and would like to restore that version one of these days when budget allows, and yes, for the fun of it. :wink:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

grog

#8: Post by grog »

I also have found that chrome with heavy oxidation like that cleans up well with 0000 steel wool. It won't scratch the chrome at all and takes that surface buildup right off.
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

BTW, the machine is a version 2.0.

Here's the reference page:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!