New tool for piston removal Izzo Alex Leva and Pompei

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

#1: Post by espressotime »

Never liked the idea of a steel socket to be used in a delicate cylinder bore.
After using a piece of PVC for almost 10 years here's the first printed one.

Grind,rake ,tamp and enjoy a great espresso.( by F. G.)

LuckyMark

#2: Post by LuckyMark »

Impressive! Good design with the reinforcement on the top.

Are you going to be selling these?

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
espressotime (original poster)

#3: Post by espressotime (original poster) » replying to LuckyMark »

Sell?
I asked my brother who owns a printer to make me one . So I gave him a few measurements and voila.

truemagellen
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by truemagellen »

willing to share file? i really like this idea as the pvc was always crumbling apart

#5: Post by espressotime (original poster) » replying to truemagellen »

Yep. I'll ask him.

cedar

#6: Post by cedar »

Notwithstanding legitimate concerns regarding steel in delicate cylinder bores, here is an alternate piston tool made from a 1-7/16" socket. Recently acquired accompanying an LSM lever purchase. The previous owner had it custom-milled by a machinist friend -- it fits beautifully.

#7: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

Wouldn't use that ever.Although a scratch would occur below the seal I'll stick with plastic or my good old pvc pipe. In the end that piston sits very loosely in the group so a wrench is never needed.Handtight will do.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
DaveC

#8: Post by DaveC » replying to espressotime »

So what, a scratch below the seal...which is highly unlikely, wouldn't affect anything, and you would never see it? I agree that hand tight is sufficient, and a wrap of PTFE and lube helps the thing come apart in future. The main issue is to replace the seal if it starts leaking past the seal, which avoids parts fixing themselves together a bit.

P.S. It is much simpler to simply remove the piston assembly from the top, rather than change the seal from underneath.

truemagellen
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by truemagellen »

DaveC wrote:It is much simpler to simply remove the piston assembly from the top, rather than change the seal from underneath.
LSM group was built for quick piston seals replacement without shutting down the machine. That way service can take place during the cafe work day without major downtime and even in a busy cafe on multi group machines.

Perhaps the updated ACS version is easier from the top?

And for those who wonder how this is possible there is a valve at back of group controlling the water inflow and not the piston seals acting as a valve.

#10: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:So what, a scratch below the seal...which is highly unlikely, wouldn't affect anything, and you would never see it? I agree that hand tight is sufficient, and a wrap of PTFE and lube helps the thing come apart in future. The main issue is to replace the seal if it starts leaking past the seal, which avoids parts fixing themselves together a bit.

P.S. It is much simpler to simply remove the piston assembly from the top, rather than change the seal from underneath.
No. The LSM group has a teflon ring that's compressed so taking it out may be possible( which takes much more time than taking the piston from below)
but putting the group back in without loosening the piston is impossible.
I've taken out the piston and seal for a clean and lube and put it back in under two minutes. The group is of genius design.