New Project... Conti 2 Group Lever

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
karl_a_hall

#1: Post by karl_a_hall »

So I took the plunge and started another project. A Conti 2 Group Lever arrived via a friend in Seattle who nabbed it from craigslist for me. It is missing portafilters (if anyone has one, I'll buy it from ya! PM me!) but other than that, it looked fairly complete.

So I started tearing it apart... it wasn't perfect but has a lot of potential. It was originally a gas and electric machine, but I'm gonna make the gas go bye bye.

I finally got the entire thing apart which involved no stuck bolts, which made my day!

The groups were hidden behind a big facade and were way to cool to not be visible, so I decided that a visual revamp had to be a part of the plan as well (not just electrical updates and controls updates). They look super cool bare and I don't think need to be hidden.

After descaling EVERYTHING, which was a long process, lots of lime and gunk in the water where this machine lived evidently, I started mocking things up to see what options may look like. Without the facade the machine can be a lot smaller, which is way more home (and even cafe) friendly. Here is all the exterior panels removed and only the big necessary stuff in place... WAY smaller! I started to get really excited now!

I was gonna chrome everything on the groups since now they will be exposed after deleting the front pannels, but I thought I would give polishing a try first to see how it worked out. I found a great shop here in colorado springs which quoted 60 bucks to do all the groupo components. I was SUPER surprised with the results! Now I'm super stoked!

The test fit with the exposed groups is getting me thinking about potential options for new body panel shapes and locations... but one thing is for sure, those groups GOTTA stay exposed and the machine has a lot of visual potential. I'm thinking a mix of steam punk (the style) meets eames with the groups (and the drip tray) being the forward most items instead of that chunky stainless bit. But we will see what works out.

More updates as progress progresses! Feel free to ask any questions or leave any comments. Cheers!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Wow, those groups really came out great. Keep them exposed for sure, it would be a shame to hide them.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

Looks a lot like Gary's Prestina, only with a second group.
LMWDP #366

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Now I might want to get my Prestina group polished (maybe not for my machine, I like the brushed finish on the panels). But those are Prestina groups. Great job!

The good news is Conti still makes that group, so you can get all of the parts.

I thought I saw a portafilter available at Orphan Espresso. Otherwise Allann Brothers Coffee in Oregon carries them. Ask for their service bench. And wait 'til you taste the coffee. You'll be very happy with that machine.

http://www.allannbroscoffee.com/
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Paolo

#5: Post by Paolo »

Who would have thought that such amazing groups as those (all the moreso with the beaut polishing) lurked underneath the extremely plain façade! They will make a standout feature of this machine.

I am looking forward to seeing this project evolve. Thanks for sharing, Karl.

karl_a_hall (original poster)

#6: Post by karl_a_hall (original poster) »

First, thanks everyone for the positive comments. This place always is such a great community with positive reactions and helpful dialogue.

Second, Gray, I almost had the polisher give the groups a brushed finish, which was an option that he offered, but it was a bit over the 60 bucks and I was still feeling the guy out... but after his great work, I was tempted to go back and get the brushed finish on these components. So, all that to say, maybe a polisher near you will be able to polish and brush your group for you.

Finally, I already bought the one portafilter available on orphan espresso a few days ago... as well as gaskets... but I'm still searching for the o-right for the connection between the main cylinder and the chrome portafilter interface ring thing; I guess I'll have to find a good source of Conti parts to find that. If anyone has tips (prolly the guys already mentions in Oregon?) I'm open to them. This is a spare time project as I'm in the busy season with work right now, so progress may be slow, but I'm hoping to have something cool when I'm done and hopefully also provide 1/1000th the useful info to future adventurers as Gray has provided in his awesome write up.

Thanks again everyone for getting this thread off the ground well!

Karl

jedovaty

#7: Post by jedovaty »

Consider putting a clear coat over the brass, to keep it shiny :)

grog

#8: Post by grog »

Nice...I saw that on Craig's List - very glad it went to an HBer and that the resto is coming along well. As others have noted, those polished groups look absolutely incredible.
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

karl_a_hall wrote:I'm still searching for the o-right for the connection between the main cylinder and the chrome portafilter interface ring thing; I guess I'll have to find a good source of Conti parts to find that. If anyone has tips (prolly the guys already mentions in Oregon?) I'm open to them.
Karl:

I don't quite get what part you're referring to. As I wrote above, Allann Brothers is a great source in the U.S. For parts contact McDave there at servicebench@allannbroscoffee.com. You can also order directly from Conti in Monaco by writing to Edith or Emmanuelle at export@conti-espresso.com.

I'm happy with the way my group looks cleaned but unpolished because it goes with the brushed panels as is. Your polished look is great, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with that machine when you have a chance. Mine only took me 22 months but you're starting with something in better shape and it looks like you know what you're doing already.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

angman

#10: Post by angman »

Absolutely fabulous job. Keep up the great work and detailed pictures. I hope to land a nice lever to work on one day. I don't know why but I keep missing these deals on Craigslist and i'm looking daily from Vancouver to Portland. I must be hopeless as I never even saw this one for sale.