New Olympia Cremina owner. - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
User avatar
orphanespresso

Postby orphanespresso » Jul 13, 2019, 11:30 pm

you may have already figured it out but....the microswitch part of the pstat has 3 spades. it can function in either format: light on white heating or the opposite as in your case. with machine off pressure identify the 2 spades for light on with a continuity tester. Pretty simple. The switch has a little neon tube that can roll just like on overhead fluorescent when it gets old. Hope this helps.
Doug

Dev

Postby Dev » replying to orphanespresso » Jul 14, 2019, 12:32 am

After tracing the wiring and looking at the schematic on the micro switch I came to that conclusion but I was still not 100% sure. Thanks for conformation.
Also thanks for answering the question on the switch. I actually like it this way as it has a nixie tube like charm about it.

And last I really enjoyed going though that journey of watching you and Barb document the whole process. Even though Im mechanically inclined I would have beaten myself up especially on the glass tube if I didn't know the little trick that you show in your video.
I have already rebuilt a few other machines over the many years but this one the most enjoyable so far.

Its been a great weekend and I look forward to finishing up.

Dev

Postby Dev » Jul 14, 2019, 11:56 pm

I removed the asbestos today and descaled and cleaned up the other brass parts. A very good metal polish that works quick is Chemical guys heavy duty meal polish. The only problem I had was removing an imbedded cooper crush gasket on the other side of the boilers steam knob attachment that required heat and a small screw driver to pound out.

For the front face and top it has fine scratches that I will probably have to steel wool or use fine sand paper before polish. The piston was buried in caked on coffee stains and now it looks like a jewel after a some clean up.
Plan is to now soak the chrome parts in Jo glow and have them polished up.

After that I will be working on the frame. I have a loose leg that needs to be tightened. Apart from that its been a good day as things are progressing well.

forbeskm

Postby forbeskm » Yesterday, 12:14 am

I'll defer to Doug, he helped me long ago when I started. I have a La Graziella from his close out sale, and rebuilt a La Cara I got for parts from the sale.

I did notice the extra prong on the pressurestat. Just never thought of it that way, my three Cremina's all work the opposite of yours :)

Post some pictures when its all complete.

Dev

Postby Dev » Yesterday, 12:36 am

forbeskm wrote:I'll defer to Doug, he helped me long ago when I started. I have a La Graziella from his close out sale, and rebuilt a La Cara I got for parts from the sale.

I did notice the extra prong on the pressurestat. Just never thought of it that way, my three Cremina's all work the opposite of yours :)

Post some pictures when its all complete.


Absolutely. One thing that has worked out well for me is my custom wood handles that cannonfodder made for my La Pavoni work for my Cremina so I don't have to give those up. Seeing how hard its going to be to remove Cremina handle from the lever rod I just bought a new one which to my surprise is only $20. Some of these parts are cheap where as others are high but I suppose that is to be expected. I just hope they continue to make parts for the old machine and I might pick up the rare spares just incase as a back up.

I