[PROMO] New manual crank handle espresso machine - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ira

Postby ira » Dec 06, 2018, 3:59 pm

Since you probably can't reasonably add a heater without ending up having to get certifications of some sort which would make the product essentially impossible to produce, maybe you could add a couple of holes for a heating elements like those used in 3D printer heads and a thermocouple for users that want to PID control their unit.

ira
★ Helpful

bgn

Postby bgn » Dec 07, 2018, 12:01 am

I just registered on your Web page for info. I see that it says Jan 2019 for release. Very soon! I think you also state here that you've already established all of the molds for final production run. So I assume this thread isn't for the purpose of considering any design change. Hopefully it will create a bit of buzz for you.

pinkselixir

Postby pinkselixir » Dec 07, 2018, 3:08 am

ira wrote:Since you probably can't reasonably add a heater without ending up having to get certifications of some sort which would make the product essentially impossible to produce, maybe you could add a couple of holes for a heating elements like those used in 3D printer heads and a thermocouple for users that want to PID control their unit.

ira


Hi.
I had thought that it could be heated for those that wanted to do that. Maybe something like that you suggested There is 2 reasonably large holes in the top. One to fill. And one on the back to vent. I suppose it's not to difficult to slide some sort of probe heater down one of the holes.

At this stage the focus was to get it good without power. But in the future it could be retro-fitted or upgraded to include a heating probe. Like someone said Earlier that might be just a little boost element or something. Not something I have looked into but very cool idea.

pinkselixir

Postby pinkselixir » Dec 07, 2018, 3:45 am

bgn wrote:I just registered on your Web page for info. I see that it says Jan 2019 for release. Very soon! I think you also state here that you've already established all of the molds for final production run. So I assume this thread isn't for the purpose of considering any design change. Hopefully it will create a bit of buzz for you.


Thanks so much for registering and interest.

Yes design on main housings and model tested and proven. But feeback here on how it fits into the scene, purpose and there is potential to massage a few things.

For instance brass vrs acetal gears. It has been mentioned here. We have done both. But long term I'm leaning back to the one piece design of solid brass shaft and gear cut on the end. Very strong and won't ever break. At present two piece is brass and acetal gear mounted on the brass shaft. Acetal smoother due to flex of gears under load. But we can improve smoothness of the brass. And it would be stronger.

So this discussion is helping us with potential user feedback on those issues and plenty of others in terms of heat capability etc etc. it's actually hard to communicate how good it is online. You have to use it. Work with it to see it's heating characteristic. But it's quite surprising. One thing is how fast it is to use. You really could run a cafe with it. It knocks out shots one after the other very quickly if you want.

Thanks again.
Nigel.

User avatar
redbone

Postby redbone » Dec 07, 2018, 9:37 am

pinkselixir wrote:Hi.
I had thought that it could be heated for those that wanted to do that. Maybe something like that you suggested There is 2 reasonably large holes in the top. One to fill. And one on the back to vent. I suppose it's not to difficult to slide some sort of probe heater down one of the holes.

At this stage the focus was to get it good without power. But in the future it could be retro-fitted or upgraded to include a heating probe. Like someone said Earlier that might be just a little boost element or something. Not something I have looked into but very cool idea.


A standardized cartridge heater would be an easier retrofit for heat maintenance. La Pavoni early heating elements - a lesson on volume I looked into them during my La Pavoni heating element ideas last year.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.


Rob
LMWDP #549

pinkselixir

Postby pinkselixir » replying to redbone » Dec 08, 2018, 3:02 am

Hi There.

Wow that's a really cool little prove heater. Literally you could mount that down into the tank from the top to retro fit. Sounds like a real simple device to use. The fact the whole
Machine is designed to receive boiling water means something like this can't really code to much trouble.

Something to consider for the future. Maybe I should get one and test it out on one of the prototypes. ??

Thanks again
Nigel.

day

Postby day » Dec 08, 2018, 4:05 am

ira wrote:Since you probably can't reasonably add a heater without ending up having to get certifications of some sort which would make the product essentially impossible to produce, maybe you could add a couple of holes for a heating elements like those used in 3D printer heads and a thermocouple for users that want to PID control their unit.

ira


The biggest problem with that is that then it becomes electric. Now I am mostly just getting crazy, but it would be awesome if there was some way to add a flame based heating system...could be something simple with an extended glass chamber with a small platform to place a heating element, or some crazy contraption where the glass chamber is extended out down the sides and back and then a small flame can burn under it allowing it to act as a vac pot, pulling the water up into the upper element ;) sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but it could be fun too!
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

vit

Postby vit » Dec 08, 2018, 4:28 am

Well, various fire effects would add to the beauty of the machine ... :D

User avatar
Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » Dec 08, 2018, 2:21 pm

I'm envisioning an external thermosyphon and heater that circulates PID controlled water through the reservoir... No mods to the machine itself, just place two tubes in the reservoir and fire up the external (sealed) reservoir and heating unit.

ira

Postby ira » Dec 08, 2018, 2:26 pm

If you want to heat it with a flame, a long copper rod inserted into the cartridge heater hole and heated with a burner would accomplish the same thing as a cartridge heater.

This is the type of heater I was thinking you might want to create a socket for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-40W-Ce ... 2439869318

12 or 24V 40W

One or two of those should be enough to keep the temperature stable. You'd still have to add hot water but all the other temperature concerns might go away. And they are only $3 each.

Ira