New Londinium R

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thebookfreak58

Postby thebookfreak58 » Dec 24, 2016, 3:10 am

https://londiniumespresso.com/blog/blog ... e-offering

Cliff notes:

* Rotary pump
* closed loop TS HX (as L1-P)
* 250GBP price rise

Seems pretty interesting. I wonder how the group is filled from the tank? Is there a microswitch in the group to trigger the pump to fill (a la Strega)?

Edit: On Londinium forums confirmed no micro-switch.

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Dec 24, 2016, 4:35 am

Very interesting indeed. Sounds like they are using a new type of small rotary pump. Wonder if the rotary pump will be close to silent? Though, it's more and more like a Strega in a roundabout way.... :P

fransg

Postby fransg » Dec 24, 2016, 6:34 am

redbone

Postby redbone » Dec 24, 2016, 8:53 am

This is all about pre infusion. Being able to achieve the benefits of the plumbed machine with a tanked machine. They added pressure via plumbing for preinfusion improved flavour in the cup especially for lighter and / or greater doses.

Pre-infusion pressure is governed by a pressure switch set at the factory to 3 bar, but can adjusted the pressure up or down by user.

Read this also "As a result of the above changes we have taken the opportunity to truncate the name of the LONDINIUM I - P to LONDINIUM I, which is more logical and easier to understand as it belongs with the LONDINIUM II and LONDINIUM III"

I wonder if a kit can or would be available to add this feature to the older tanked only L1.

Plumbing kit is available essentially making this what use to be called the L1-P, bypassing the tank and rotary pump and drain to waste pipe. Nice if converting machine later on for higher volume area.

More to come as Reiss also wrote "....the compact lever espresso machine range that is currently under development (with a projected release date of 1 January 2018."

Outside of a larger tank I wonder the 700 GBP justification of what was called the L1-P (now L1) vs the LR. Will there be a future price drop on the L1.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Beaniac

Postby Beaniac » Dec 24, 2016, 9:23 am

redbone wrote:I wonder if a kit can or would be available to add this feature to the older tanked only L1.

It wont, because the thermosyphon is changed from boiler fed to coldfed. The old L1 uses the pump to fill the boiler, the new LR uses the pump to fill the group.

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Dec 24, 2016, 10:24 am

redbone wrote:Outside of a larger tank I wonder the 700 GBP justification of what was called the L1-P (now L1) vs the LR. Will there be a future price drop on the L1.

I strongly doubt it. While the end result in the cup will likely be more similar, the R is still definitely the cabinet-friendly home/consumer machine that will be manually refilled for smaller number of shots. The (renamed) L1 should still generate considerably more steam, enabling many milk drinks to be brewed at a greater clip than the R.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Dec 24, 2016, 10:27 am

Beaniac wrote:It wont, because the thermosyphon is changed from boiler fed to coldfed. The old L1 uses the pump to fill the boiler, the new LR uses the pump to fill the group.

Beyond that, Reiss said that while the external dimensions are the same, the interior layout of the R, including the bracing and boiler, is completely different.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Bob_McBob

Postby Bob_McBob » Dec 24, 2016, 12:01 pm

So this is the Londinium Strega that Reiss swore he would never build. Group fill and pre-infusion via pump, or as Reiss described it "a pump machine with a lever group bolted on". How things change! :lol:

This does look like a very nice machine, but it is quite reminiscent of the Strega with a dimmer mod. Considering the price difference I would certainly purchase the Londinium for the nicer group, pump, and easier pressure adjustment.
Chris

baldheadracing

Postby baldheadracing » Dec 24, 2016, 4:11 pm

As soon as folks figure out who makes and where this new compact rotary pump can be purchased, I forsee the Strega modification thread exploding :-).
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

Fausto

Postby Fausto » replying to baldheadracing » Dec 24, 2016, 5:09 pm

It's made by Procon, not sure of the model.