New Londinium R - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
HoldTheOnions

#11: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I modified my L1 for cold fed hx and line preinfusion. You can flush it, but as soon as the steam stops, you have to stop flushing and wait for the machine to recover. Start running cold water through and the grouphead will cool rapidly and significantly. For example, I flushed about 7.5oz (around 3 seconds) and it boosted grouphead temp about 2c. It took about 55 seconds for the boiler to recover after that. I flushed 16oz and it dropped grouphead about 7c and took the grouphead about 15 minutes to recover because the grouphead is so massive. I didn't test it, but I am guessing a 3-4oz flush would boost grouphead temps more than the 7.5oz. I am also guessing the new version will perform similarly or better.

rbh1515

#12: Post by rbh1515 »

Will the L1 still be available, or is it going away?
Rob

rbh1515

#13: Post by rbh1515 »

I just re-read the details...I was confused the first time I read it. Looks like the L1 I recently bought is going away, replaced by the L-R. The machine previously known as the L1-P will be renamed the L1. Confusing!
Rob

pngboy

#14: Post by pngboy »

I think it says pre-infusion can be raised as high as 6 bars but the factory setting starts at 3.

I don't know 2 much about lever machines. But with the old L1 each time you pulled a shot it would heat up the grouphead and eventually over heat and be two warm for good espresso(after 20 shots or so) right... But with design if I did a bunch of consecutive shots the water would be getting cooler right? Do you think this machine will be any better a serving small groups of people.. Like 20 -30 shots? Again I'm more of a roaster and have only owned a Salvatore spring lever. Thanks for the knowledge.

spressomon

#15: Post by spressomon »

rbh1515 wrote:I just re-read the details...I was confused the first time I read it. Looks like the L1 I recently bought is going away, replaced by the L-R. The machine previously known as the L1-P will be renamed the L1. Confusing!
Rob
Yes ... now we have, in aftermarket circles :D, "original LI", "second gen LI" and "third gen LI" ... or maybe it will be LIv1. LIv1.1 and LIv2 :D

Per pngboy: Overheating for subsequent shots within a short but reasonable time window was my biggest reason for selling my LI (v1 :D). OTOH the first shot, if p-stat was adjusted to maximize the first shot's flavor/performance, was truly wonderful. And waiting ~15-minutes between shots seemed to allow the group to cool down enough to repeat ...
No Espresso = Depresso

redbone

#16: Post by redbone »

The more logical naming convention should have been L1-P, L2-P and L3-P or LP-1, LP-2 & LP-3.
This naming convention would automatically evoke plumbed and numbers og groups by any reader not overly familiar with the Londinium product line.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

mfortin

#17: Post by mfortin »

[/quote] ...Per pngboy: Overheating for subsequent shots within a short but reasonable time window was my biggest reason for selling my LI (v1 :D). OTOH the first shot, if p-stat was adjusted to maximize the first shot's flavor/performance, was truly wonderful. And waiting ~15-minutes between shots seemed to allow the group to cool down enough to repeat ...[/quote]

Do you think with the closed loop thermosyphon offered with the new L1R, the overheating problem you are talking about will be resolved?

rbh1515

#18: Post by rbh1515 »

I guess the following is my confusion...the current L1 is their most popular lever. I bought mine a few months back and love it. I really like the simplicity of the machine. I have not had any problems with the group overheating, but I don't ever make 20-30 shots in a short time period. So....why get rid of your most popular model?
Rob

Fausto

#19: Post by Fausto »

Reiss obviously believes the LR is an improvement. He's stated in the past that he didn't think the market would support 2 such similar models.

spressomon

#20: Post by spressomon »

I think, as the home espresso machine market moves towards pressure/volume pre-infusion profiling, Reiss is keeping up with market trends. I don't see a downside to the revision/updated technology really; but then again I haven't played with an LI-P to know how the cold feed really functions. But I suspect back to back shots would not be an issue based upon what I have read about same.
No Espresso = Depresso