New La Pavonis vs Museum Pieces - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

Late 1st gen and early 2nd gen La Pavonis might meet your needs. There are other vintage options too, like the Caravel, which has high build quality and a cast aluminum frame that doesn't bend.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

JIMBOJOHN55

#12: Post by JIMBOJOHN55 »

Agree with the above - plus another consideration being the single vs twin element of pre 74 pavs has no off switch, from a usability point of view for some people that's an issue, I find that the 1st gen will require your attention throughout the routine, its not really a machine that you walk away from as you need to switch it from the main to smaller element just as it comes up to the boil.

I suppose this is where the pressurestat models suit some people more as it regulates itself.

Fransesco says the 1st gen with the brass liner to the group is the most stable of all of them, ive not put this to the test, having used all the different gens during restorations each one had its merits and adjustments to the routine of using them but all were capable of making a great shot.

Interestingly Pavoni seem to be making a version of the 1st gen lever casting again as part of the piston rod pressure gauge kits that are appearing on the market.
Keep calm and grind flat

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

On one of my 1st gens that's not a rare machine I incorporated an on/off switch on the power cord.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

grog

#14: Post by grog »

Redbone, myself, and probably others have also swapped out the OEM switches on first gen Europiccolas for three position switches where the middle is off. If you don't mind the aesthetic change that is also an option.
LMWDP #514
★ Helpful