New La Pavoni Europicccola owner and OPV query

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
MAXTHEDOG

#1: Post by MAXTHEDOG »

Hi All,
I've had my EP for about a month (2015 model), an have since added a boiler gauge which usually sits at around 0.75-0.8 bar. Recently, however the safety valve had been making a noise while it's warming up and being used as if it's releasing excess pressure although the gauge is still up at around its 'normal' reading. It also continues after the EP has been switched off despite the gauge reading zero. I appreciate these gauges don't come with a calibration certificate and therefore should only be used as a guide.

My query is: is this normal? There's no steam actually coming out of the valve, but it didn't do initially.
Regards,
Michael.
Michael
LMWDP #758.

ei8htohms

#2: Post by ei8htohms »

I have a recent production LP Professional and it doesn't do that. I think I'd do a deep cleaning/descaling on that valve and replace it if it still does that after.
LMWDP #751

MAXTHEDOG (original poster)

#3: Post by MAXTHEDOG (original poster) »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
When you say a descaling, I'm assuming you mean take it off the EP and soak it otherwise I can't see how you can be sure the descaler has been through. I should've added that when I first got the EP I descaled it with a red Puly sachet in the boiler and pulled the water through the GH and steam wand
Regards,
M.
Michael
LMWDP #758.

ei8htohms

#4: Post by ei8htohms »

Descaling may not be necessary, but anyway, just a good cleaning and checking the freedom of the components and condition of the gaskets.
LMWDP #751

#5: Post by MAXTHEDOG (original poster) »

Thanks for that. I'll source the tools, I've got plenty of sockets and wrenches but I doubt they'll be thin enough. I think I'll change it anyway as the replacements seem to have the vacuum widget now. I don't think mine has as it was almost unused and perfectly stock when I bought it.
Cheers.
Michael
LMWDP #758.

#6: Post by MAXTHEDOG (original poster) »

Hi,
In another post you mentioned that your EP has the PPK and vacuum buster fitted. I was thinking about the fitting the PPK. Would you recommend the vacuum buster as worth the extra cost? Coffee Sensor only has the brass VB in stock at the moment though and my EP is all chrome apart from the base, so not sure how it would look mixing chrome and brass.
Regards,
Michael.
Michael
LMWDP #758.

ei8htohms

#7: Post by ei8htohms »

The Airbuster is 100% "worth it" in my opinion. Not only does it insure a completely filled piston chamber on every shot, but it facilitates dry-pumping with the portafilter installed and even risk-free Felinis in case you want to experiment with higher yield shots too.

That said, my LP is also chrome and I also wouldn't want to have a brass Airbuster on it. Maybe ask Tudor if he could sell you the pair (at the combined price) and then ship you the steel Airbuster separately when it's in stock?
LMWDP #751

#8: Post by MAXTHEDOG (original poster) »

Thanks. The OPV is as quiet as a mouse today! b^_^
Michael
LMWDP #758.

jpaulm

#9: Post by jpaulm »

I also have a post 2000 model La Pavoni EP. My OPV valve hisses occasionally. A solid tap with a wooden spoon sets it right again.

#10: Post by MAXTHEDOG (original poster) »

Hi All,
Thanks for all your replies.
I got the 16mm skinny wrench today so will strip the valve and see what state it's in.
Regards,
Michael.
Michael
LMWDP #758.