New Izzo Alex Leva - Grouphead loose?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JG
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by JG »

Hi everyone,

I have been a member for a while and learnt so much from everyone's contributions, thank you all for that!

I just took delivery last week of a brand new Izzo Alex Leva and absolutely love it. Once I took my pink glasses off (ok, they are still on..), I noticed that the grouphead seems to be quite loose (see video attached), and while I'm ready for Italian quirks this seems a bit much perhaps? Or do others have a similar situation going on?
I wouldn't mind tightening it down myself, but since it's brand new and in case something went wrong with the threading I'd rather not take it apart 3 days after opening it up..

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Jan

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

That is pretty strange. I'd remove the top & see what is going on behind the front cover when you move the lever.
LMWDP 267

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
JG (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JG (original poster) »

Indeed! New video below, seems like the next logical step will be to just try and carefully tighten it up myself (mostly top two screws). Unless there is a better idea/similar case out there. Will try as soon as my kids let me...

IamOiman

#4: Post by IamOiman »

it looks like the fasteners or whatever is securing the boiler are loose. The entire boiler, flange, and group move in the same direction when you pull
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Evidently there is no upper frame support behind the front plate/group flange area so the entire assembly is moving back & forth. Gives a new meaning to lever flex. Is the boiler rubber mounted or just loose?
LMWDP 267

JG (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JG (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Is the boiler rubber mounted or just loose?
meaning insulation? I can't see rubber, or the place where the boiler is fastened to the frame unfortunately.

Also, for added fun the pressure gauge isn't straight... (see pic)

Sooo... these issues straight out of the box - return and get a replacement? Starting to feel fuzzy about what else may be wrong with this specimen.

Thanks for your input!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

Does seem to have had a rough trip or maybe it was assembled on a late Friday afternoon?? I'd definitely be talking to the seller. Personally I'd like to see some structural support up behind that group flange mount. Hopefully someone that owns a Leva will let you know how normal that flex is.
LMWDP 267

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
LuckyMark

#8: Post by LuckyMark »

Hi Jan, definitely unusual. I have the same machine and absolutely no movement at all, just checked. I have never opened mine up but I would be tightening the bolts up.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by sweaner »

I would ask for a replacement, given 2 obvious issues with the build.
Scott
LMWDP #248

chappcc

#10: Post by chappcc »

JG wrote:Indeed! New video below, seems like the next logical step will be to just try and carefully tighten it up myself (mostly top two screws). Unless there is a better idea/similar case out there. Will try as soon as my kids let me...

video
You could check the frame support attachments to see if they are secure (middle bottom in this photo):

This will require you to remove the outer cover which is attached by two bolts (10mm wrench required) to the top of the support frame. The cover is heavy and lifts off when the bolts are removed.