New Izzo Alex Leva - Grouphead loose? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JG (original poster)

#21: Post by JG (original poster) »

...as promised:

Vendor received the washers that were supposed to make the flawed unit perfect, wasn't happy though with the fix Izzo suggested and after more closely examining the machine they had (remember, one last left in stock that had the same issue as mine) found it could be fixed 'easily' by me/themselves- promised pictures and vids for home job. Instead, after 2 days, tech calls me and tells me that I can't do it myself cause it would start leaking. Said they would send me the one he took apart and fixed up, to replace mine.

Here is my issue: On the one hand side the vendor is reputable and has good customer service, so I should be able to trust their techs if they say the unit they want to send is perfect. On the other hand, it's starting to feel like they are trying to make a flawed product stick, and it really shouldn't be too much to ask that I get a factory perfect unit from Izzo for my $$$.

What would you do? Thanks in advance.

TomC
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC »

Ask for a refund/return.

Full stop.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

chappcc

#23: Post by chappcc replying to TomC »

Agree - You expect to get a perfect machine for the $$$ you paid. For your trouble, you should expect a sizable discount if you keep their "fixed" machine.

drH

#24: Post by drH »

JG wrote:...as promised:

Vendor received the washers that were supposed to make the flawed unit perfect, wasn't happy though with the fix Izzo suggested and after more closely examining the machine they had (remember, one last left in stock that had the same issue as mine) found it could be fixed 'easily' by me/themselves- promised pictures and vids for home job. Instead, after 2 days, tech calls me and tells me that I can't do it myself cause it would start leaking. Said they would send me the one he took apart and fixed up, to replace mine.

Here is my issue: On the one hand side the vendor is reputable and has good customer service, so I should be able to trust their techs if they say the unit they want to send is perfect. On the other hand, it's starting to feel like they are trying to make a flawed product stick, and it really shouldn't be too much to ask that I get a factory perfect unit from Izzo for my $$$.

What would you do? Thanks in advance.

Is it completely clear what is exactly "wrong" with the machine? Is it just a part missing or a faulty frame? I'm just asking because, if the vendor can bring it back to factory spec, maybe it truly is solved? If they applied some kind of ad-hoc fix, is it just as good as factory perfect, or will this present itself as an issue down the line?

arcus

#25: Post by arcus »

chappcc wrote:Agree - You expect to get a perfect machine for the $$$ you paid. For your trouble, you should expect a sizable discount if you keep their "fixed" machine.
A sizeable discount is the only scenario where I could see myself proceeding at this point.

JG (original poster)

#26: Post by JG (original poster) »

As I mentioned earlier, they did offer a little something - namely, 10% discount and 3 years warranty (instead of 2).

A) This was offered about 2 weeks ago, assuming they didn't have to ship. Considering my customer service experience so far with them and since they think of the repaired unit in their shop as good, I'll have to fight for that to be applied to the 'new' unit I imagine

B) I'd value the knowledge that this machine should last like others have, and has no other surprises in store down the road more than in 300,-

JG (original poster)

#27: Post by JG (original poster) »

drH wrote: Is it completely clear what is exactly "wrong" with the machine? Is it just a part missing or a faulty frame? I'm just asking because, if the vendor can bring it back to factory spec, maybe it truly is solved? If they applied some kind of ad-hoc fix, is it just as good as factory perfect, or will this present itself as an issue down the line?
They didn't say - either it's just fine, or too complicated (not good), or they'd rather not disclose (worse). The fact that fixing the issue had the consequence of leaking makes it obvious that things are more interconnected than they appear. Maybe someone messed up/is new to the job/pandemic issues/or whatever, but I also don't think the vendor should accept this from Izzo. If they (Izzo) made a mistake, it's theirs to correct. Don't get the need to try and make it work.
The problem remains that it's my 3k I'm putting down to figure it out - the customer shouldn't have to take this risk, especially not with such a high end luxury purchase. Doubting both customer service and Izzo quality, I'm leaning TomC's way.

drH

#28: Post by drH »

Hmm. You should be able to at least get information on the specific problem.
They also carry the Quick Mill Achille; I wonder if they'd be open to swapping your order if you are just fed up with Izzo.
Different machine though... no PID but HX stable brew temp.

JG (original poster)

#29: Post by JG (original poster) »

You'd think.. I asked again, but neither tech nor owner would disclose. Called a different vendor who said that the E.U. is scrambling with Covid restrictions (obviously), and thought that the screws on the group head may just be too long: apparently specific screws were/are among the parts which are especially difficult to come by, so they may just have used the next best thing and let it slide.
Regardless, a normally performed bench test would have immediately caught that, perhaps miscommunication or whatnot. Returning and will for now wait until it's safe to assume Izzo has all they need to build a normal unit. Disappointing though, that neither Izzo nor the vendor owned up to their mistake at any point over the past few weeks - to me that's essential for good customer service.

Re Achille: I find the look of the Achille less appealing, like the LSM group and considering how long it took me to decide on the Izzo I'll probably either stick with it or wait until Decent comes up with a facelift :)

Thanks for everyone's input and help - much, much appreciated!

LObin

#30: Post by LObin replying to JG »

If you like the LSM group (who wouldn't!), have you seen the Vesuvius Leva?
The upcoming machine is discussed in the latest Lever Mag edition:
https://thelevermag.com/pages/issue-3

I believe they are taking pre-orders at this time.
LMWDP #592