DIY Dipper Lever - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Espresso_Monkey

#41: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

Hey Curtis.
I also have the VBM PID double boiler.

I read with interest that you prefer the lever.

Now it's a couple of months on, how do you feel? Still preferring it?
If yes, why? How would you characterize the difference?

pizzaman383 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#42: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) replying to Espresso_Monkey »

Yes, I still prefer the lever. I'm still surprised but every time I make espresso it's smoother and more consistent than the VBM. The temperature seems more consistent with the lever so that there's less bitterness and less sour at the same time and I think the mouth feel is better - it sounds crazy but that's the way it seems.

I'm using the same espresso blends that I have always preferred using the VBM but I'm liking the shots better from the lever. The dose and grind that works best on each machine is slightly different. I have both ridged and ridgeless EspressoParts HQ filter baskets. On the VBM I liked shots from the ridged basket with a 16.5 gram dose best but on the lever I like shots from the ridgeless basket with 15 gram dose (the lever dispersion screen sticks down further).

There sure does seem to be something about these levers.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Espresso_Monkey

#43: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

Intriguing

Supporter ❤

#44: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

I thought it might be helpful to give a one-year status report on my lever.

I still love it! It is soo ready to use and is very consistent. I make three shots in a row, typically. I do two warm-up fake shots using a rubber disk with a 1/16" hole to ensure that the group head is the same temperature for all shots. I start each shot at the same group head temp. It typically takes 3-3 1/2 minutes for the temp to drop back down to the starting temp so I weigh and prep each shot in that time.

The only aspect of the build I don't like is the steam valve and wand. I reused the Graziella parts and they are just not as functional as my VBM parts. I don't use steam too often so I haven't felt the need to make the swap. There is plenty of steam produced by the boiler so it is just a preference for the usability of the modern parts.

If I did it again I would separate the boiler from the copper plate and feed the group directly using a rubber screwed into the back of the group. That would eliminate the complex gasket I had to deal with. Since it ain't broke I don't want to mess with it. Maybe I will, someday.

It is really nice to see all the custom levers being built! If you were on the fence go ahead and jump in :lol:!
Curtis
LMWDP #551

jontyc

#45: Post by jontyc »

That's great to hear, and motivating.

GreatDane

#46: Post by GreatDane »

Curtis,
What a great thread! I am PIDing a La Pappina, and your build has given me some ideas for better placement of my sensor. My other goal with this build is to have a "portable" espresso machine. I would like to have a setup I could take with me when traveling. I have a Zass hand grinder that grinds great for espresso, so that part of the project is done. A bunch of us lever heads got together, and the theory we came up with as to why the shots are better from a lever is in part due to the vertical push the water gets from the piston rather than from a pump.

I am rebuilding a SAMA lever and an Olympia too. When I am done with these projects, I do want to do my own build!

Les
LMWDP #079

Supporter ❤

#47: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

GreatDane wrote: I am rebuilding a SAMA lever and an Olympia too. When I am done with these projects, I do want to do my own build!

Les
I added PID to a KA ProLine (Gaggia) and a La Graziella prior to building this lever. Although the Graziella worked well and made good espresso it felt rinky dink in my large hands and high lever pressure. That led me to wishing for a beefier machine but I couldn't justify the cost of new nor could I live through a rebuild.

When the group came up for sale I jumped in with both feet. My wife also prefers the look of the lever I built so it really has turned out very well, indeed.
Curtis
LMWDP #551