New Bezzera Strega Not Filling Boiler

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kpoz

#1: Post by kpoz »

Hi everyone. I'm trying to provide some remote assistance for a friend who just took delivery of a Bezzera Strega floor model from Pasquini. After filling the water tank, plugging in the machine, and turning it on, the pump will activate after a few seconds and then run for a minute. However, the water line in the water tank doesn't move and the pump ultimately shuts off. The green light is on but the amber light remains off.

We reviewed the manual and numerous threads on home-barista. We made sure the water tank is seated properly and that the machine isn't in plumb-in mode. But no matter what we do, we can't get the machine to fill its boiler.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any help would be appreciated as Pasquini doesn't reopen until Monday.

Marcje

#2: Post by Marcje »

If the amber light is off, it could be a bad connection of the orange wire that is connected to the frame that holds the tank (this wire should be visible when you remove the tank). Fiddle with that connector and see if it works...

mrgnomer

#3: Post by mrgnomer »

It does sound like the refill trigger. There's some discussions about it. At the bottom of this one they talk about it.

Bezzera Strega for dummies!
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

kpoz (original poster)

#4: Post by kpoz (original poster) »

Marcje wrote:If the amber light is off, it could be a bad connection of the orange wire that is connected to the frame that holds the tank (this wire should be visible when you remove the tank). Fiddle with that connector and see if it works...
Thanks. From other posts, it seems the boiler should still fill even without the amber light being on due to a faulty connection. But we will try to fix the contacts and activate it."

kpoz (original poster)

#5: Post by kpoz (original poster) »

mrgnomer wrote:It does sound like the refill trigger. There's some discussions about it. At the bottom of this one they talk about it.

Bezzera Strega for dummies!
Thank you. This is a post we consulted last night but we didn't remove the pump. It's a brand new machine-it was a demo unit but never used after being placed on the floor-and was purportedly bench tested before being shipped. So, there's a reluctance to do any significant internal fiddling. But perhaps that's the next step.

Marcje

#6: Post by Marcje »

Can it be that the boiler is actually full now? But that it doesn't heat because if the connection/orange light?

kpoz (original poster)

#7: Post by kpoz (original poster) replying to Marcje »

You're all awesome. Oddly enough, it was the water tank. They needed to bend part of the connection to ensure better contact. And now, it lives!

Marcje

#8: Post by Marcje »

Good job, have fun with it!

mrgnomer

#9: Post by mrgnomer »

Good 2 hear. I find while the Strega is solid it's pretty straight forward with it's design. Makes it a bit quirky. The refill is direct contacts with the plumb in bypass a female spaded wire bridge connection . I didn't get one with my Top so I made one. Works ok. Sometimes my boiler refill trigger takes a while. Gotta like the boiler water level safety switch.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

kpoz (original poster)

#10: Post by kpoz (original poster) »

He got the machine with rosewood accents. It's very pretty.

Me? I'm a Robot guy with a Weber Key-until I can afford a Kees van der Westen lever machine :wink: