Need help deciding which La Pavoni to get

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Yotam

#1: Post by Yotam »

Hi, I've been looking to get a La Pavoni for quite some time now. I found a couple of used machines for sale. The first one is from the late 70s and the second one is indicated as pre millennium. I would be using either of them mostly for espresso. My main concern is replacement parts availability and price in the future.

This is the first one:

And the second one:

Thanks!

domi

#2: Post by domi »

If you want to play it safe, you can buy a fully renovated unit from Francesco Ceccarelli, rather than one in unknown condition from an unknown seller. Francesco also had a page for sourcing spare parts.

Advertisement
njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by njtnjt »

My 1965 Pavoni is for sale in the buy/sell section. It was my grandfathers machine. He bought it new and I inherited.

If it's not ok to say this my apologies and please delete my post. Thanks!
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary replying to njtnjt »

Probably better to PM him, but I would have mentioned your machine anyway.

Pre-Millennium means 1st and 2nd generation. Both machines in the opening post are 2nd generation. The first machine there has a cast base. It is much higher build quality and is the very first 2nd generation model. It looks like it's in great condition, which makes it collectible, but not rare. Both can be turned on and off with the power switch. The chrome one has rust in the base, maybe rust underneath, general degrading of the chrome in the base. The base is stamped metal and there will be "give" with the pull. It is also missing the protective sightglass cover.

This machine just mentioned in our Buy/Sell forum is 1st generation and appears to be in excellent shape.

[FS] Vintage 1965 La Pavoni Europiccola 110v with extras

It also has very high build quality. That model year, though, did not have a removable shower screen, so servicing the piston and group will require removing the brass sleeve. It is a very nice, collectible item, although missing the La Pavoni badge in front. I have that model and it works well. 1st and 3rd gen machines have a water-heated group that doesn't overheat as easily. The 1st gens have a more massive group that includes the brass sleeve threaded into the inside. Also note that when you plug it in, that turns it on. I modified mine by changing the power cord and adding an in-line switch. You can't add a pressure gauge to the top of the sightglass, but I don't find that necessary. You can adjust the boiler pressure by adding shims to the spring in the pressure release valve or changing the ball and spring with a mushroom Teflon spring. I measure the group temperature with temperature strips.

2nd generation machines overheat more easily, but they can be controlled without modification as seen in this thread:

Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni

Or, you can do a mod that heats the group with water, not steam:

Heat control mod for 2nd Generation La Pavoni Levers

I agree with the recommendation of Francesco Ceccarelli as a reliable restorer. His items on sale page is here. You will see that his current offerings only have one that can be obtained in 110v, and that is a later model with lower build quality than the early ones with a cast base.

His reference page for different versions of the La Pavoni Europiccola is here.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!