Need advice re: Eric's Thermometer kit for Olympia Cremina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

There's two weeks worth of reading on here re Eric's fantastic work thru the years on many machines. I would like to hear specifically re Creminas. He does have a kit and I just ordered it.

As a newbie my weakness in using this old lever to fullest potential is temp control. Seeing the heat progress on the temp strips has been a trying part of my routine. Hard to see the faint blue sometimes. Eric's thermometer seems the perfect answer.

Have been following Tekomino's thread very carefully past few days on "Cremina Advice". Lots of experimenting to do here.

Any advice you could give in this respect is very much appreciated. Specifically on where to place thermometer and do I need to modify anything to place thermistor.
Doug and Barb mailed my Cremina out yesterday and I'll be jumping to the PO after this holiday weekend.
Thanks!

tekomino

#2: Post by tekomino »

Erics thermometer is what I use all the time even though I have strips installed. I have it placed on the back part of the group somewhere in the middle. No mods necessary, easily reversible, unless Eric changed something, but you'll get nice instructions with any kits he sells. You'll see... :D

genecounts (original poster)

#3: Post by genecounts (original poster) »

I emailed Eric re thermometer placement. His reply to me was "anywhere but on the group", in his opinion.
He seemed hesitant to recommend because he does not have Cremina.

I had seen a pic somewhere of someone's thermometer being placed at top in front of group just above yoke. I really liked that location. If placed there you can eye the pull and view the dial simultaneously without darting back and forth.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

There are two "issues" here that need to be clarified a little. The thermometer consists of a display assembly and a temperature sensor. The temperature sensor is a 100,000 ohm negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistor. The resistance of the thermistor is 100K at 25 degrees C . . . and

goes down as the temperature increases - hence the designation negative temperature coefficient. The complete MS Excel file is, as always, available for the asking.

The sensor should certainly be on the group and I believe that a point whose vertical location is the midpoint of the cylinder and a horizontal location where the cylinder meets the rectangular support is appropriate.

The display can be placed in a convenient spot, preferably NOT on the grouphead, limited only by the length (about 5") of the wiring.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Possepat

#5: Post by Possepat »

Eric,

Just to be sure. I have a cremina, and would love to have one of these digital thermocouples. I would be looking to order SSS-01?

Cheers,
Pàdraig
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

No, but send me an email to the address below my sig.
Skål,

Eric S.

#7: Post by genecounts (original poster) »

Got my Cremina back from Doug late today. Photo'ed the Pstat for future reference and tore into Eric's kit.

Cut a 1" piece of Dougs packing on 45 degree angle and velcroed it above sight gauge. Velcroed therm there. Installed the thermister behind group per Eric's illustration and pulled shot.

What a great mod. It makes pulling shots on the Cremina so much easier.
Can't wait for morning so can use it some more.
Thanks all!

Paolo

#8: Post by Paolo »

Hi genecounts,
Would love to see photos of how you mounted wires and thermometer......any chance of that...and photos of other users?

#9: Post by genecounts (original poster) »

Paolo:

Would be glad to. I only have HD photos and can't get them small enough for H-B. Just PM me at genecounts at verizon dot net or thru H-B and I'll send you a photo.
Cheers
gene

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

Gene -

Please send the photos to me and I will post them on this thread. And if you need some help in managing the photo editing program previously recommended (IRFANVIEW), simply give me a call at 301-587-5033 till midnight EST.

Gene has a different thermometer than what has been shipped previously . . . no difference in accuracy but a little nicer and easier to mount. These will, hopefully, be made available to anyone who purchased the modded thermometer at cost.
Skål,

Eric S.