My Great-Grandmother's Vintage Chicobar Espresso Machine - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

How rare is this well-preserved home lever? Francesco has never seen one and didn't know about it. :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

AGordo wrote:Hey HB! I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I recently found out that my family still has my great-grandmother's old espresso machine, but that unfortunately it hasn't worked in something like 50 years. I would love to be able to restore it to working condition, but I have no experience with the inner workings of espresso machines and have no idea where to start. That's where I turn to you!
Depending on whether you want to learn restoration for this rarity, I expect that your machine would be very much appreciated by Francesco Ceccarelli, who would restore it and document it for his reference site. In return I expect that he would offer you an an excellent and fully restored vintage machine of equal value. (I am not speaking for him and have nothing to gain by suggesting this.) Another of our members found a very rare machine that he traded to Francesco. That one is documented here:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_Amcor_eng.htm
Gary
LMWDP#308

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
elvice2000

#13: Post by elvice2000 »

Hi,
if even Francesco didn't know it, that's for shure a mystery machine..I wondered if with a name like this, "chicobar", couldn't it be a spanish copy of the cimbali?

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by IMAWriter »

There's a "ChicoBar" nightclub in RUSSIA!....nah.
Paul Pratt has weighed in yet, but as Gary says, you can bet Francesco would want his hands on that machine.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

MB

#15: Post by MB »

One shot wonder??? Pull the shot before the boil, then steam after the boil?
LMWDP #472

AGordo (original poster)

#16: Post by AGordo (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Depending on whether you want to learn restoration for this rarity, I expect that your machine would be very much appreciated by Francesco Ceccarelli, who would restore it and document it for his reference site. In return I expect that he would offer you an an excellent and fully restored vintage machine of equal value. (I am not speaking for him and have nothing to gain by suggesting this.) Another of our members found a very rare machine that he traded to Francesco. That one is documented here:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_Amcor_eng.htm
Turns out, without knowing it, it was actually Francesco's website that I had clicked through when originally trying to track down the machine myself! I mean personally, I would love to learn how to restore the machine. That being said, I would also want to do justice by the machine and the community! However the machine also carries a fair amount of sentimental value in my family, so I would say it's unlikely we would part with it.

With that said, we are highly motivated to learn as much as we can about the machine and restore it to proper working order!

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

There is also the option of thoroughly photographing a restoration and providing that documentation to those who catalog vintage machines, like Francesco. My Lady Duchessa is a rare machine and was restored by Doug Garrott at Orphan Espresso. Doug provided lots of photos that I sent to Francesco to post so others could see the teardown and restoration. Later Francesco located a similar machine and posted his detailed teardown instead, but there is no way of knowing if another of yours exists.

If you restore this one yourself, I suggest disassembling carefully, photographing each step and keeping all parts, even the ones that would be replaced. Don't force anything that's stuck but ask for help instead. The option of trading for a fully operational and collectible machine is that it's a good way to have a daily driver vintage lever for home use with reliably replaceable parts, including maintenance items like gaskets. I can certainly understand the sentiment of keeping an heirloom in the family, though.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
canuckcoffeeguy

#18: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Nice family heirloom. Would someone from the Enrico Maltoni collection in Italy have some insight into this machine?
http://www.espressomadeinitaly.com/en/

donn

#19: Post by donn »

MB wrote:One shot wonder??? Pull the shot before the boil, then steam after the boil?
That occurred to me, too. If the shot drops the water level to an ounce or so, pressure could come up pretty quick? No idea really. Seems kind of sketchy, but that adds up - somewhat plausible idea that doesn't seem to have been a huge success, either sales were poor or owners sent them to the landfill.

drgary
Team HB

#20: Post by drgary »

From that era it is probably dual switch high/low for fast heating, good shots, steaming. The old Microcimbali for all its corrosion problems brews and steams well.
Gary
LMWDP#308