More elegant thermometry for Olympia Cremina?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Chabeau »

Adding a digital thermometer to the exterior of my Cremina's group was a total game changer, especially when coupled with Gabor's piston pressure kit. These transformed the machine and allowed more control over my shots to the point where I found no use for my GS/3. While I tried the temp strips, I found the finer resolution of a digital thermometer helped improve repeatability. I am no super taster but even a two or three fahrenheit degree change in group temp can noticeably change the profile of a shot.

I have been using a cheap digital thermometer from amazon and it has been working great. The problem is it does not fit the design language of the machine. Eventually I would like to integrate the gauge into the faceplate of the machine so I would like to find something that is moisture friendly and looks like it belongs with the machine. Is anyone aware of any smallish (~1.5") gauge thermometer with some kind of a flexible probe?
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

CraigF

#2: Post by CraigF »

I don't have an elegant solution, but I use a Holder thermometer with a magnet attached to the back, probe wire secured with a small piece of hvac tape. Works great.

Curious as to your targeted temp that you like? I've been in the 171-174 F range, but thinking about experimenting higher/lower.

coffee cat

#3: Post by coffee cat »

Pictures, would be very nice, please.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

I use a thermometer like this:
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=279
With a surface mount thermocouple like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NBM7S ... asin_title
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Chabeau (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Chabeau (original poster) »

Thanks for your replies. Here is a photo of my current setup.

We are in the process of buying a home and we'll be remodeling the kitchen likely with Hygge Supply cabinets. My wife is ok with keeping the Cremina out on the counter and I want to make sure it looks a little more finished and integrated than "hacked". A small analog thermometer would be ideal.

Craig, depending on roast level I am anywhere between 170-185 or so. For lighter roasts I will be closer to 185 and pre-infuse for 10 or more seconds. For darker I will be closer to 170 and pre-infuse for one to three seconds. Most of the coffee I prefer drinking lands me in the 178-180 degree ballpark. Of course playing with the pressure profile and shot ratio will affect flavor profiles at a given temp.

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

CraigF

#6: Post by CraigF »

Here is a pic of mine (correction to my above post, it is a Taylor, not a polder). Not the best looking, but it works well. May upgrade to something from thermoworks if this one dies.

shawndo

#7: Post by shawndo »

An older post where i listed a thermocouple setup
Helpful Tips for New Olympia Cremina Owner?

I velcro-d it to the corner, but you can customize the length of the cable fairly easily and do a better job of cable management.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

No pics but I use this Thermoworks mini thermocouple mounted with Velcro atop my Cremina with an inexpensive Type K wire I bought on eBay...copper taped to the group. Works great.

https://www.thermoworks.com/MTC
No Espresso = Depresso

Chabeau (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Chabeau (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Just to clarify, I am currently using a digital thermometer with probe per my photo. I like how discreet it is since I can hide the display behind or next to the machine. However I am looking for something that looks more congruent with the design of the machine so I can integrate it into the machine.

Ideally I would like an analog gauge thermometer with a flexible probe and with a temperature range of about 160 to 190 degrees but I'm not sure if this even exists.

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

Alslaw

#10: Post by Alslaw »

What about something like this 200 degree analog temperature dial?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3904364620

I have not tried, so I am just spitballing here, but i imagine you could replace the probe with a thermocouple connection.
LMWDP # 606