Mini scale for Cafelat Robot - Page 10

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
fronesis

#91: Post by fronesis »

HELP?

Newbie robot user (old barista) here. I bought this scale based on recommendations here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GT ... UTF8&psc=1

But it turns off automatically after 60 seconds, even when I'm in the middle of a shot!

It seems like (a) this is a popular scale for the robot and (b) this auto-off "feature" would be a deal breaker. Once I get the scale set up ready to pull a shot, pre-infuse, and start to pull, I often get to 60 seconds before I'm at the desired 2:1 weight in the cup.

How are others using this scale with their robot? Am I missing something?

Nate42

#92: Post by Nate42 replying to fronesis »

I don't have that exact scale but that "helpful " feature is pretty common. The way they usually work is they stay on as long as the weight is changing. But pulling a shot is too gradual a change for it to notice. If you will put a finger on it to make a big change just before you start your shot, you now have a full minute of actual shot time which is hopefully enough. If you are doing an extra long shot you may need to bump it again as you go.

drgary
Team HB

#93: Post by drgary »

It looks like it has a tare button. You could press that chest at the start of the shot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

fronesis

#94: Post by fronesis »

Good tips! Thanks, both. That will tide me over until I get that new scale with the timer...

Bombadilio

#95: Post by Bombadilio »

So I have been using the Taylor scale and my issue is the same it shuts off after like 60 seconds.

https://www.surlatable.com/salter-compa ... 25507.html

Do we have any more accurate scales that do .001g Vs. 01g? Or one that won't auto shut off?

Typically I push on it mid pour but that means I have to take my hands off the bars.

I like the sexiness of the Pyxis... But really $260 for a scale that we can pay $30 for?

jpender

#96: Post by jpender »

Bombadilio wrote:Do we have any more accurate scales that do .001g Vs. 01g? Or one that won't auto shut off?

Typically I push on it mid pour but that means I have to take my hands off the bars.
I use a 500x.01g pocket scale. It also shuts off after 60s but never during a shot. All it takes is a single drip to reset its timeout. I like the extra precision vs a .1g scale when I weigh the dose. But I think I'm in the minority.

A .001g scale would be overkill.

Bluenoser

#97: Post by Bluenoser replying to jpender »

I agree with this.. I like the 0.01g scales as they are generally quicker (track the weight faster). Some of the American Weigh scales I tried (0.1g) were brutally slow. I now just get the ones mentioned above at amazon for about $20

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#98: Post by PIXIllate »

The new Decent Bluetooth scale is 4" wide.

I don't own a Robot (although I'm sorely tempted just for yucks) so I can't say if that would fit or not.

Ken5

#99: Post by Ken5 »

Even if the decent scale was a quarter inch narrower it is way too tall for the robot.

Is a hundredths scale really faster than a tenths scale, or does it only appear to be since the hundredths digit is faster?

I have a Maxus brew scale that I once used with my robot. Fits perfectly and it has the ability to allow different sleep options. Never turned off for me while in use. It is a tenths scale though, maybe they make a hundredths too. One has to be careful with these clone scales as there are some lookalikes that turn off.

jpender

#100: Post by jpender »

Bluenoser wrote:I agree with this.. I like the 0.01g scales as they are generally quicker (track the weight faster). Some of the American Weigh scales I tried (0.1g) were brutally slow. I now just get the ones mentioned above at amazon for about $20
Mine is an American Weigh Scale and it has a noticeable lag. If I am aiming for, say, a 32g shot I stop pulling around 31g or so.

The Decent Simple scale looks way faster. And you can program it so that it doesn't shut off automatically. Unfortunately it's specified width is 10.0cm which is about 1mm too wide for the Robot. Maybe it will fit anyway?